Chapter 26: Shields

The sounds of the forest echoed in Angel's ears. He sat in the grass. In his fingers he held a yellow flower twirling it around. The wind brushed against his mocha hair while his back was leaned against the cave. The entrance to the cave was open waiting for Claire and Raven. While he waited, he shut his eyes and images of that night entered his mind. The feelings were rushing back as he thought about their first kiss, their first night together, the first time she told him she loved him. These thoughts, these images, he'd cling to them forever. For they were what reminded him that Raven was worth the risks. She's worth him losing the throne, worth him risking his life time and time again. So everyone might think he's lost his mind or that it'll never work or they'll both end up dying. That their love story could only have a tragic ending. But, he didn't care, nothing was going to stop him from trying. They would have a happy ending on the horizon even if it cost him everything to get it.

"Why can't I say it," He stood there in the mirror. His skin freshly showered his hazel eyes glancing up at his reflection. "Erika," He let out a deep sigh. "I lo-," He bit his lip to keep the words from coming. "Come on, just tell her how you feel, it's not that difficult just say it." He fingers through his hair. "What's the use, she'll never know how I feel because I'm too scared to say it. I'm too scared of losing her." He buried his face in his hands. "I'm so pathetic, It's just three words and yet, they scare the shit out of me."

"Son, are you ready?" His mother asked. "It's prom night, you gotta pick Dez up. She's waiting for you. Tonight's the night," He opened the bathroom drawer. Inside was a condom package he saved for the end of the night. His first time and it was to be Dez. She's supposed to be the one but why didn't it feel like it? "Your father wanted me to tell you he's so proud of you." Of course, he's leading the life his father wanted for him. Of course, he's proud. How could he forget? That's why it has to be Dez. His feelings cloud his judgment better safe than sorry.

"I'll be right out," He put on his tux and stashed the condom in his pocket.

"Nothing's changed," Angel pressed his head against the cave. Three years later, he's with Erika now and he still can't tell her how he feels. He's still afraid and he was starting to wonder if he'd ever find the strength to tell her. No, he had to tell her, during the date. He'd say it. Just keep practicing. "Raven," He forced out. "I lo-," He stopped himself when he heard footsteps approaching.

It was Raven, she was walking in the forest. The gentle breeze brushing through her beautiful black hair. She was laughing as her sister walked beside her. He figured the sister's were laughing about something that happened while he was waiting on them. In all that joyish laughter was a hint of a smile. A smile that set Angel's heart at ease. The light of the sun shone on Raven's skin giving it a slight glow as she got closer to him. The laughter stopped when Raven's eyes met with his and once they did. She broke into a sprint. She leapt in the air, he caught her in his arms and spun her.

"I can't believe you actually came to get me." Raven wrapped her arms around the back of his neck and her legs wrapped around his waist. She stared into his eyes and brought her lips close to his. He leaned in to kiss her before he could. She placed her hand over mouth. "Angel," She pointed down and he set her down on her feet. The second her feet touched the ground, she clenched her gut and ran into the woods. He went to follow her but Claire grabbed his shoulder and shook her head at him.

"I wouldn't if I were you," Claire suggested. "She's been like that all afternoon. She's been throwing up and to be honest." She put her hands in her pockets. "I'm a little worried." She confessed.

"Worried?" Angel raised his brow. "Is she going to be okay?" He started to go into the woods after her.

"Actually, we need to talk." Claire's words stopped him. "That night, you and my sister," Angel's hands began to shake. No, please, he shut his eyes fearing the question. Please don't let it be that, anything but that. "You wore a condom right?" The flower in his hand dropped to the grass beneath him. "I mean surely you did, you don't strike me as the kind of guy to be that stupid. So I'm obviously worried about nothing."