Chapter 06: Conversion

Night had fallen in the forest, the young woman continued to run past the trees. The gorgeous stream of her platinum blonde hair danced with the wind. She had her hair tied up with a pink hair tie in a curly ponytail which, draped by her left ear. The moonlight shone down on her slightly pale skin. She dressed in a white button up shirt with a pink skirt that had floral designs on it. She wore long black socks with pink rose designs on them. Around her neck, she wore a chained necklace. The ring attached to the necklace read: "Jake, my protector."

"The humans shouldn't be too far from here," She ran through the forest, her black combat boots crushing the fall leaves. "Whoa," She fell off a small cliff landing into the muscular arms of her protector.

"Vanilla," Jake let out a sigh. "You're so clumsy sometimes," He set her back on her feet. "You should try being more careful." He has a point, she was just so excited about joining up with the humans. That's if they'd accept her even though she's a vampire. It was worth a shot, right?

"I guess you're right." Vanilla agreed. "We aren't at the safety of the cabin anymore." She put her arms behind her back. "I'm just so used to not worrying about the war." She continued to walk through the forest. "Sometimes, I tend to forget about it." She explained. "I guess it's different for you."

"Yeah it's pretty hard when my job is to protect you." Jake ran his fingers through his mid length black hair. He wore a solid black muscle shirt to cover his sculpted frame. "We should probably get a move on." He put his hand in the pocket of his black jeans. "Don't forget to stay behind me." Jake pulled out a pair of fingerless gloves with a durable steel plate over the knuckle. "This way," He put on the gloves taking careful steps through the trees. The chain necklace around his neck rattled as he moved. The ring that was attached to it was engraved with the words "Vanilla, My girl."

"I'm not helpless Jake," Vanilla extended the small metal piece in her hand into a full metal staff. "I told you. I wasn't going to let you protect me all the time. I want to fight alongside you." She put the staff away. "Now let's get moving." She took his hand walking deeper into the forest.

"Could you tell me why you're so set on joining the humans?" Jake asked. "You get that they are the weakest and their numbers are only slightly higher than that of the werewolves. It's only a matter of time before that changes." He had a valid point but still.

Once the war began, it didn't take long for humans to start to feel the effects of two powerful supernatural beings facing off. There was no warning, one moment the humans were safe, the next. A war broke out, werewolves were converting them to boost their numbers and vampires were feeding on them. No matter where the humans turned, they were being hunted. They were given two options.

The first and most popular option, they could take refuge in town. Once inside the town. They were safe whoever was hunting them would stop in their tracks being paralyzed by an overwhelming fear. Nobody knew what was scaring them off but whatever it was. It kept the humans inside the town safe. Soon after entering the town, the person that entered would also forget about the war and the fact, werewolves and vampires existed. This allowed vampires and werewolves to enter the town to get supplies. There was only one law made to them. Both sides had to keep their existence a secret from the humans inside.

The second option, they could defend themselves. Some humans chose to build a stronghold of their own. They had only one goal, they sought to help the humans that were being hunted. As the war progressed, their numbers started to drop drastically. What started as a rescue project became a fight for survival. This was the group Vanilla wanted to join. She felt that they would benefit from her help the most. She also had another reason.

"Come on," Jake leaned against a tree. "What's your reason?" He shrugged. "I'm willing to join them with you but. I need to know why we're doing this." He was going to think she was being silly. Still, he had a right to know.