𝟎𝟒𝟗. 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞

" 𝕳ey"

" 𝕳ey".

June glances up from her suitcase laid on the bed, a faint smile tipping her lips up at the sight of her mother grinning as she leans against the doorframe.

"What dress are you taking?".

Happily, June picks up the yellow satin dress from the bed and eagerly turns towards the doorway.

"Isn't it just so pretty?", she asks excitedly, Maureen sauntering over with a slight frown.

"You were saving that for a special occasion".

"Yeah, well this is a special occasion. You don't get to go to the NHL Awards every day".

Maureen's gray eyes cut up to her at that.

"Or be Jack Hughes' date".

June has to struggle to keep herself in check, trying not to choke on her spit and she clears her throat with a shake of her head.

"I'm not his date. I'm just . . . . accompanying him. And his parents".

Maureen tilts her head.

"You're his plus one, baby".

"I'm not", June retorts placing the dress down and smooths out the other clothes in her suitcase, ignoring her mother.

Maureen hums just as another presence fills the doorway.

"All set for tomorrow, June Bug?".

June's gaze trails up with a smile watching her grandfather step in enthusiastically while her mom shares a look with him.

The younger brunette groans.

"What?".

"She's Jack's date, isn't she, dad?".

"Mom", June scolds her mother but her grandpa only frowns — the same frown as her mother's, down to the very narrowing of his gray eyes, God they're too similar — and rubs the back of his head.

"Of course, she is. Why are we clarifying that?".

Maureen turns to her daughter with a look that screams a condescending "See" whilst June's cheeks flush.

"I'm not. I'm just going along with them because I've been wanting to visit Nashville and Jack managed to get an extra spot".

Her grandpa laughs, "You're his date, hon. Don't be confused".