𝟎𝟒𝟓. 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐭

" 𝕳ey"

" 𝕳ey".

June looks up from her conversation with Ethan — he arrived last night to spend fourth of July and the entire next week with them before he and Luke leave to spend some time with the UMich boys, and Jack and June travel to Nashville for the NHL Awards — and raises a brow at the brunet nervously staring down at her.

"Hey?", she smiles lightly and he shifts on his feet, well aware of Ethan watching their interaction with interest.

"Can I like . . . ", he gestures for her to move away to give them some privacy but Ethan's quick to notice the cue and he immediately jumps to his feet.

"I'll go eat", he taps June's shoulder and walks away but not before giving Jack a knowing glance.

Why the fuck is everyone and their mother interested in our business?

He sighs.

"Do you wanna go to the beach? For a walk. Uhm, we'll be back before the fireworks start".

Her eyes light up but she remains seated.

"What will we do at the beach?".

"Uh", he rubs the back of his neck, pursing his lips, "Walk. I don't know, I think it'll be refreshing to get away from their yelling for a while".

She grins.

"You mean Quinn's yelling because you won't let him and Alex cook in peace?".

"We don't need to discuss the details".

Snickering, she stands and shrugs bringing the oversized crepe shirt she pulled over her bikini top, closer to her body.

"Sure", she stuffs her hands in the pockets of her jean shorts and follows him out of the house for the short ten minute walk to the beach.

They talk about everything and nothing as they wander through the parking lot and make their way downwards stopping short near a secluded spot from where they can watch the water and the scores of families and couples enjoying their evening on the beach.

A low wind whips through her hair, cool air tickling her exposed skin as her eyes stay fixed on a couple running around with three little boys.

"That's you".

Jack snaps from his daze — he'd been busy staring at her side profile — and turns to the toddler she's pointing at.