𝟎𝟎𝟎. 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

𝕿he thing about Maureen Holloway is that all she's ever wanted in life is peace.

A life full of peace is a life well-lived, she likes to repeat daily to her reflection in the master bedroom bathroom as she reminds herself of just why she left, why even as a thirty-six year old very eligible divorcee she still swears off relationships choosing instead to dotingly look after her eight year old daughter, Juniper — or June as she's often affectionately called.

Juniper is the apple of her mother's eye.

My baby does no wrong, is what Maureen is an incredibly steadfast believer of, to the point where she's had several arguments with fellow school moms whenever they've accused her daughter of being too "rude", too "smart-mouthed".

Call it a deep rooted love for the single source of light in her otherwise rather bleak life or just a simple belief of the fact that her daughter indeed is god sent but one thing is crystal clear — Maureen adores her little girl to death.

And though she would love to sit in and have a movie night with Juniper, tonight of all nights needs to be different.

Because tonight she's been invited to a house-welcoming dinner at her neighbours' — they live two houses down from hers on a street full of classic American family homes — to whom she had also sold the house to two months ago.

"Sleepless In Seattle is on, y'know", little June mumbles grumpily from her mother's side, tugging the strip of her pink summer dress up as it slips down her tiny shoulders for the millionth time tonight.

Maureen halts in place leaning down to adjust her daughter's dress, "This used to fit you so well", she murmurs with a frown.

June chews on her lips — a nervous tick inherited from her mother — and continues staring at the woman eyeing her outfit with curiosity.

"You've lost weight, June bug".

June shakes her head, "No, I haven't".

Maureen's grey eyes cut sharply up to her daughter's honey brown ones, "Yes, you have. Is it . . .", she swallows gazing at June's nervous expression, "is it the kids at school again? Do I need to meet with your principal?".

The eight year old vigorously shakes her head at the suggestion.

"No, it's nothing".