𝟎𝟒𝟖. 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐜

𝖂aking up to an empty bed has June rerouting her mind, sitting up quickly to glance around the room only to notice that his clothes are gone too

She rubs her eyes and grabs her phone off the nightstand when the sight of the day catches her eye.

Saturday.

A smile immediately tugs up her lips and she gets out of bed, pulling her oversized tshirt down and making her way to the bathroom outside to freshen up and brush her teeth.

Fifteen minutes later, she's stepping off the last stair and shuffling into the living room space feeling incredibly light this morning.

Her mind takes a second to register the brunette who looks up from the couch upon her arrival and she squeals, diving in to tackle her into a hug.

"Oh my god, I can't breathe", Cassie squeaks out, hugging June back just as the girl loosens her hold.

"Can't believe you're finally here".

Cassie laughs, "Yeah. It's been too long of Quinn insisting I come. Thought it was finally time I saw the infamous lake house".

June separates from her and steps back, still smiling making sure to ask if she wants coffee but Cassie dismisses it saying she's already had tea.

Shrugging, June ambles over to the kitchen and raises her brows when she sees Trevor and Maddie actually talking to each other . . . . civilly.

"Good morning", she smiles and they both respond to her greeting, she frowns noticing the coffee in the coffee maker.

"Uh, I made some for myself, figured you'd want it too. You don't have to drink it though. Sorry, I should've probably finished it".

She shakes her head, throwing a glance back at Madeleine noticing that she's already changed back to her own clothes.

"There's no way I'm passing up on coffee that Madeleine Gray made for me", she remarks pouring the liquid into a mug and getting the creamer out.

Madeleine laughs quietly.

"Yeah, uhm. I'll get going now. I was just waiting for you to wake up. I've put your shirt on the bed in the spare room. I had a really great time yesterday, thank you for everything".

"You don't have to leave so early".

"I have a long day of alone time ahead of me. I kinda need it", the blonde responds and June nods in understanding.

"Thank you for staying over. You're always welcome".

Flashing her a parting smile, Maddie gets to her feet only for Trevor to do the same.

"I'll walk you out".

She scowls up at him.

"I'm perfectly capable of walking myself out, thank you very much".

"Then I'll just happen to follow you as you leave the house", he spreads his arms with a smug look.

Rolling her eyes, Madeleine turns and walks away with her purse, June squinting at Trevor as he moves past her with an unbothered look.

A minute after the door closes, it opens again and this time, her eyes light up the moment they connect with that familiar blue gaze.

He approaches her with a smile, waving a paper bag.

"Your weekly waffles, ma'am".

She grins so wide that she can feel her mouth stretching, love and everything in between perfectly captured in that smile.

He looks down at her with a muted smile, lips curling at her reaction.

"Thank you", she cheerfully accepts the paper bag and begins unloading the waffles on a plate.

Cassie enters the kitchen at that and Jack turns to greet her, happily pulling her into a much sophisticated hug than June's.

June watches them interact — more so stares at Jack's smile and just, something hits her really hard.

She's always been, well, in love with him but now that they've been doing . . . . whatever it is they've been doing for the last one and a half month, it feels so much more than that.

It's so much more intimate than what she's always believed love is. It's the feeling of this weirdly beautiful and unexplainable awe of just existing at the same time as someone and feeling lucky to be someone they talk to.

Someone they smile for, someone they look at, someone they breathe the same air as.

It's crazy how going into this the only thing in her mind was that she'll be happy to have whatever piece of himself that he's ready to give her.

But now it almost feels as if, she's let him have all her pieces and he hasn't even turned her down for it.

No, he's cherished her. He's handled her with so much care and he's made her affection for him a thousand times more than it already was.

Even now, she's still ready to give herself up in exchange for this feeling that's become exclusively his.

And a small part of her is scared — the part that is her mother's daughter, the part that is the rational friend, the part that is the realist.

But the hopeless romantic wins every time.

And she's choosing to believe that, in the end, love can truly be the answer.

***
happy valentine's day baes!!!!