𝟎𝟏𝟗. 𝐬𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐫

⎯⎯𝐦𝐚𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

⎯⎯𝐦𝐚𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

𝖂hen June's phone began buzzing, she at first assumed it to be her mother following up on their weekly phone call and happily snatched the device from the edge of her bed, abandoning her assignment notes laid out on top of her with her laptop open on the bed.

And so, her surprise at the caller id is expected.

A confused smile takes over her face as she answers the call bringing the phone up to her ear.

"Hey".

"Hey, I got your text. Thank you", she hears him laugh quietly, a loud crowd seemingly surrounding him.

She hadn't had the time to watch the third Stanley Cup playoff game between the Devils and the Rangers but she had looked up the result along with the highlights and excitedly texted Jack a small 'congratulations, u played well :)'

She'd expected him to reply back in the text but apparently he had other plans.

"Couldn't watch the entire thing but Dougie's goal was awesome, please pass on the message", she scribbles mindlessly at the top of her page.

He laughs again, the sound bringing a wide smile to her face, "Will do. What are you doing?".

June inhales, still smiling and leans back against the headboard.

"Working on an assignment. You celebrating?".

"Yeah, they're trying to get me drunk".

"Well, go on then. Don't let me stop you".

"Eh . . . I'd rather talk to you. Sober".

She chuckles knowing full well that once he gets drunk he gets animated as shit but the hyperactiveness can be pretty adorable at times.

Actually, it's always adorable. For her, that is.

"Wow, Jack Hughes giving up alcohol to talk to me? I'm honoured", she slumps down, feeling her cheeks burn with the exhaustion of the ever present grin slowly expanding on her lips.

"Character development, Bug. You should be proud".

The laugh that escapes her lips next is a mixture of a surprised gasp and a wholehearted cackle as her whole body shakes and the diary lying on top of her vibrates with her chuckles.

"Who even are you?", she hears him laugh along with her and the sound immediately fills her with a flurry of butterflies.

It's weird having him call this way and have an entire conversation with her when he's supposed to be celebrating with his teammates but it does feel very honouring.

A bit nostalgic too because he used to do the exact same thing sometimes back during his rookie year.

The memory dampens her smile by a little, a sad wave of nostalgia washing over her as she recalls just how long it's been since they last talked this way.

"June? You there?".

She blinks, startled and quickly pushes to sit up.

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry, got a little lost in my head".

"Well, now that I have you back . . . how was your day?".

She snorts, "You really wanna know?".

She can actually hear the grin in his voice when he speaks next.

"Wouldn't have asked if I didn't. Tell me everything".

And then, obviously, she does.

***
so in love with this book, yous will have so much fun with what i have planned ahead 🤭