𝟎𝟎𝟖. 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

𝕿he drive has been going well.

Well as in silent. And it's not comfortable silence either — though that's so overrated — but it's just a proper awkward no-talking zone that's somehow been established within the vehicle.

It's weird because she has so much to say but no energy for it because if she opens her mouth then she's going to have to argue or defend herself or explain why she is the way she is and tonight that's just . . . a big no.

Jack's been staring right ahead, idly between twiddling his gripping fingers against the steering wheel and pursing his lips in thought while June averts her glance from the scene outside the window every once in a while to quickly look sideways at him only to turn rigid when he almost turns to meet her eye sensing her gaze upon him.

It's a fun little depressing game of who breaks first and for weirdly unknown reasons, neither of them is willing to lose.

Ten more minutes of excruciating, pathetic silence leads to the car pulling into June's apartment block.

She gulps knowing she'll have to say something now.

Swiftly unbuckling her seat belt, she grabs her bag and hesitantly turns to face him.

He's already watching her.

Oh.

"Uh . . . thank you", her voice comes out hoarse causing her to clear her throat as she readies to exit the car.

"Wait".

Alarmed, she stiffens in her seat. He notices her reaction and an inevitable furrow embeds itself between his eyebrows, his eyes fixed on her.

"Did I . . .", he coughs lightly, "have I done something? Are you mad at me?".

Oh no, not this.

She wants to scream, to walk out and never look back. She wants to cry, to breakdown right here inside this car and tell him that no, it's not him it's her.

She is the problem here and if everybody knew the extent of her insanity then they'd probably agree too.

Or maybe he is to blame after all, maybe she should just go on right ahead and lose her wits because how the fuck could someone be so oblivious?

Only earlier tonight, her heart had swelled at the very sight of him. With every hushed remark uttered in the backseat of Emma's car, she had somewhat begun to admire the rabbit hole she'd inadvertently fallen into.

And now here she is, praying that her tears don't spill as easily as they always do and that he just leaves her alone.

Or stays back to answer all her questions and let her laugh at his godawful jokes knowing full well that no one else gets his humour as she does.

It's complicated, really. But then again, most things in life are.

"I'm not mad at you", she begins, "I've just had a tiring day", she gets out of the car after flashing him a weak smile.

Rounding towards the driver's side, June waves quietly with his calculating gaze still firm on her face.

"Bye".

She turns around and takes a few short steps away from the car only to halt midway when she hears the door open and close.

Oh, no.

"June, hey. Just give me a minute, alright?".

Confused, she glances over her shoulder and there he stands, now out of the car waiting for her to face him and tell him to fuck right off, please and thank you.

She affirms to the former, crossing her arms over her chest.

Jack blows out a breath.

"I feel like . . . . we haven't been talking much lately and that's probably my fault so, uhm, I kinda want to change that, y'know? You're one of my closest friends and I hate this constant silent treatment you've been giving me. Just tell me what I did so that I can apologise and we can move on".

He exhales deeply waiting for her to say something.

But she only stares back, dumbfounded.

Because . . . that's all she'll ever be to him, a friend. And the fact that he's acting like he's not the one responsible for the distance between them?

That he's not the one putting in zero effort into their "friendship" when she's been nothing but supportive and so goddamn tolerant of his stupid attitude and his even stupider antics that have made her cry like the biggest fool in the entire world?

Oh, June.

She inhales, "I'm sorry for . . . being distant, I guess. But that's not exactly my problem when you're the one who's too busy to invest in our friendship".

He frowns and honestly, that infuriates her even more.

"What the hell are you talking about? I have been busy, June. It's the middle of the fucking season for God's sake. Luke's been busy too but I don't see you ghosting him".

It hurts a little more than she'd ever be willing to admit.

"That's because despite having the same schedule as you, Luke does find time for me. And it's not even just about that, he's like—", she runs a rough hand through her hair, "he remembers stuff, okay? He's there. He wishes me good luck on my exam days, he asks me how my day was regardless of how exhausted he is but you? You barely have time to text me back but of course, you're free for a date".

He looks wounded but she doesn't feel bad for any of it. Nothing because it's all just facts.

"I do text you back. Maybe it takes me a while but . . . I promise I don't do it intentionally and it was Valentine's but I'm sorry I should have", he sighs briefly looking away, "I should've visited you.  I really am sorry, June. Please don't hate me".

God, if she spends one more minute in this man's presence she's going to melt and forgive him but seriously what even is there to forgive him for?

It's all so stupid, she just wants to sleep.

June sighs defeatedly and steps back.

"It's okay. I'm gonna go now, thanks for the ride. Goodnight, Jack".

He wants to stop her, she can see it on his face.

But he takes the coward's way out instead.

"Night".

And just like that, she leaves.

***
i hate this chapter but um anyways here's an early update just for -zegraslvr bc i love her 💘💘