𝟎𝟑𝟑. 𝐜𝐮𝐝𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐫

𝕷uke and June walk side by side, their sneakers crinkling the gravelly ground beneath their feet as they approach the driveway leading to June's house

"All I'm saying is", June throws him a side glance, "this could be actually worth it. You won't know until you try".

Luke huffs looking down at their feet tiredly making their way up to the porch.

"I don't have time, June".

She snorts swivelling to stop him in place the moment they reach her door.

He halts, startled and stares down irritatedly at her scowling face.

"No, you just have commitment issues. Seriously, Luke. She's nice, she's into you and you like her too. Stop sabotaging your love life, for fuck's sake".

He scoffs, shaking his head as he steps to the side forcefully turning her away from the door handle.

"I'm fine".

"Luke".

"It's my rookie year, okay?", he gestures for her to hand him his key which she does — reluctantly — and puts the key in the lock, "Can't afford to get distracted", he mumbles twisting the key until the lock clicks and he pushes the door open.

They step into the foyer, June shutting the door behind them, "Love is not a distraction", June states in an exaggerated voice punching his arm when he frowns.

"Too many rom-coms, Junie, are terrible for your health. And sanity".

"I'm the sanest person on this planet actually".

"Sure, you are".

"You're just—wait. Do you hear that?", she whispers leaning closer to him and they both listen to the voices conversing in the kitchen — one of them belonging to Maureen and the other to a man.

"Oh my—", she doesn't even finish the sentence before she's hauling Luke into the kitchen behind her and squealing as she runs up to the smartly dressed man with a perfect buzz cut showing off his hair that have gone white with age.

"There's my June Bug", he hugs her tight, a smile immediately forming on June's face as nostalgia crashes over her.

She loves her grandpa's bear hugs so much.

A yelp leaves her lips when he tickles her sides making her jump back with a wide grin.

Her grandpa smiles down at her, his steel grey eyes — the same ones her mother has inherited — stray over her shoulder to Luke who moves closer, his lips tipping up happily.