𝟎𝟎𝟑. 𝐛𝐮𝐠

𝕴t's the day after Valentine's when Luke, much to June's dismay, is departing with his entire team for their next game against the St

𝕴t's the day after Valentine's when Luke, much to June's dismay, is departing with his entire team for their next game against the St. Louis Blues.

She'd woken up earlier than usual to try and spend more time with him only to have him grumble and scurry around the kitchen with a mug full of black coffee and a constant insistence of needing to be let "out of the house" to collect his belongings from his own apartment.

She hadn't wanted him to leave so early - naturally - and so as any rightful, slightly clingy best friend with serious attachment issues, she'd made him promise to drive back and pick her up so that she could see him off.

Which meant tolerating a new batch of annoyed grumblings until he finally relented and now she's stood on the tarmac hearing the low yet significantly loud whirring of the plane stationed in the middle of the area as Luke shifts on his feet, carelessly slinging his duffel bag over one shoulder with a slightly sympathetic look plastered on his face.

"Don't you dare", she mumbles stepping up to him.

He shakes his head with a sigh.

"Just . . . take care, alright? Don't-don't stress too much and . . . .", he carefully debates his next words grimacing at the sudden speechlessness.

"I'll be fine", she rolls her eyes, "You worry about yourself. Good luck", she smiles quietly tipping up on her toes to throw her arms around his neck.

He exhales in relief at the familiarity of her warming touch, his arms simultaneously looping around her waist to hug her tight.

Sometimes, he wishes he could hug her forever and never let go.

Especially on hard days as this when he'd beg for more time with her if he could but unfortunately, their lives are miles apart from each other.

Summer, we've still got summer.

June kisses the top of his head reluctantly inching back to look up at his faintly smiling face.

"We'll-".

"Oh hey, you two".

Her words get stuck midway, her throat closing up in itself with the pressure of her heart colliding with the bars of the confinement it is bound in.

It's just four words, calm down.

Though that's the problem, right? To a heart so bitter and longing, even four words have the effect of a gigantic swirl of emotions curling in deep, deep, deep within her being.

That, and the fact that she hasn't exactly heard that voice in person in a really long time.

"Morning", Luke responds letting June properly step back with one arm still wound around her.