𝟎𝟏𝟕. 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

𝕺nce when June was twelve, she'd forgotten that Luke had had to stay back at school for detention because he hadn't completed his yearly English report by its due date and their English teacher being the proper devil in disguise hadn't shown a bi...

𝕺nce when June was twelve, she'd forgotten that Luke had had to stay back at school for detention because he hadn't completed his yearly English report by its due date and their English teacher being the proper devil in disguise hadn't shown a bit of mercy towards the neglectful seventh grader.

And so, June being a creature of habit had shown up at his doorstep at exactly four-thirty in the evening with her monthly read, Famous Five: Five Run Away Together.

They had curated a daily habit of spending time together after school hours with June sitting by his garage as he took daily hockey lessons from Quinn for at least an hour every day.

June would sit close by on a lawn chair, a book always in her lap and sometimes, Ellen would come out to hand the three of them separate juice boxes which they'd finish quickly and end up gossiping for a while before Quinn would startle at the time lost and haul Luke right in leaving June to either sit back and watch the brothers or go back to her book.

It was a fun little routine which had become a normal part of her life over the years.

Only today, Luke had detention and it was Jack instead who had answered the door.

She blinked checking the time on her pink Disney princess strapped wrist watch.

"Luke . . . .?", she frowned at the face of her watch as slow realisation sets in.

"He's at school. His teacher called mom".

She sighed loudly, "Right. Sorry, I'll go".

She turned to leave, clutching her book under her arm as she moved away only to be stopped by Jack calling out.

"You don't have to go".

She glanced back, clearly confused.

"What?".

He stood there, rubbing the back of his neck — something that she was by then aware was just him being awkward — and shrugged.

"I have to practice anyways. Figured I'd do it right now since the garage is empty, you could come watch. Or I could teach you how to play, I don't know".

Twelve year old Juniper Bauer was deeply in love with Jack Hughes. It had started sometime when she was nine and three years later, she was still obsessed with him.

She could write auroras about his beauty.

And so, spending time with him came as a welcome surprise.

She nodded then followed him inside as he went to grab his gear and stood there silently repressing her grin because Jack had just asked her to spend time with him.

She knew he was ways mature than her and Luke what with him being a freshman in high school already, but she still found herself admiring him.

She knew he had a crush on one of his friends who was undeniably pretty with the most luscious golden hair June had ever seen.

And she knew she should probably not be pining after a boy who's living a completely different life than hers.

But there's just something about him that makes her obsess over every little interaction.

Ten minutes later, Jack is levelling his hockey stick in his hands with his gaze occasionally flickering towards June who sits back in a chair with her feet propped up and her nose buried in her book.

"What are you reading?", he inquires casually gliding the puck around.

She looks up, "The Famous Five".

"Is it good?".

"I love the entire series".

He nods returning to the puck and maneuvers it around the area before halting in place.

"D'you wanna play?".

June snorts shaking her head with force.

"I'm shit at it, no thank you. Sports scare me".

"But you're good at football".

"That's because my grandpa loves it".

He looks away, thinking.

"Should we play football then?".

She scrunches up her nose, "You don't have to entertain me. Just go ahead and practice, I'll be fine".

"But I want to do something with you", he complains winging the hockey stick around.

She feels her insides heat up.

"Thought you wanted to practice".

"Because I thought you'd play with me".

June fiddles with the pages of her book.

"Won't your dad be mad? You're supposed to practice every day".

Jack rolls his eyes as he abandons his stick and skates over to her sitting frame. He plucks the book from her hand and tilts his head, grinning mischievously.

"I know what you'll say yes to".

She feels herself smiling like an idiot.

"What?".

"Waffles".

June hesitates, rubbing her arms with her gaze faltering.

"I'm trying to not eat anything that might . . . .", she gulps still not meeting his eye, "that might . . ."

She closes her mouth with a shake of her head and looks up to find him quietly staring at her.

He knows some things about the stuff people say to her. It's only because they're jealous of how straightforward and smart she is.

And he hates that no matter how much he asks, she never pinpoints the exact culprits.

She's the loveliest person he knows and it hurts to see her doubting herself this way.

"We're getting waffles, June. C'mon", he offers her his hand.

She considers Jack for a moment then silently places her hand in his, forcefully taking her book from him eliciting a surprised laugh and then he shuts the garage door walking them away from the house, every so often ruffling her hair to annoy her as she pushes his arm with a purposeful half annoyed smile.

***
this is to -zegraslvr 's pea sized brain and constant insistence for not giving me a real answer no matter how much i beg 🙏