𝟎𝟑𝟐. 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲

" 𝖄ou really don't need to follow me around like a puppy all day, I promise I won't forget our movie night", Maureen states arranging the grocery bags on the kitchen counter

June shrugs, her chin resting on her palm as she leans forward peaking into one of the bags which seems to have a large condensation spot on the outside.

"You got me mudcake ice cream?", her excited brown eyes flicker to her mother's crinkling grey ones, a laugh escaping her throat.

"Of course. My baby only comes home so many times a year", she takes a few items out, placing them in overhead cabinets whilst she shuffles around the kitchen.

June smiles contentedly, "You spoil me too much".

Maureen tsks, shaking her head.

"I don't spoil you enough, actually".

The younger brunette opens her mouth to respond when her phone pings on the counter beside her signalling a notification.

Quickly grabbing it, she unlocks the device and directly heads to the chat.

A photo of Jack posing with a plain chocolate ice cream fills her screen, a message waiting for her below it.

JACK: 'are you proud of me'

An involuntary smile stretches up her face, her fingers swiftly typing out a reply.

JUNE: 'very, how did this miracle happen tho'

Three dots instantly appear below her reply indicating that he's typing and for some weird reason, that makes June smile even brighter.

Just the thought of him behind that screen, taking a minute to reply back to her text makes her feel like something sweet is brewing inside her.

JACK: 'cole forced me, wouldn't let me buy any other flavour. said that would be too boring'

JUNE: 'who knew COLE could be so useful?'

JACK: 'damn straight'

He continues typing when Maureen not so subtly tries to lean in to see who her daughter's busy texting with.

June jumps up from her place, noticing her mom's prying eyes.

"Can I never have an inch of privacy in this house?".

Maureen shrugs, "You can but you'd been smiling at your phone for too long so I got curious".

Her rushing heart somehow feels inappropriate for this current situation even though she was only texting Jack.

Jack. It's like her mother caught her flirting with one of her friends' kids.

This just doesn't add up.

"So . . . ", her mom begins.

June clears her throat, "So?".

"Who's making you smile like that? Is there someone you haven't told me about?", Maureen grins but all June hears is the ultimate disappointment that would surely be dripping from her mother's words if she found out that June's letting a man string her along in the name of fun, despite agreeing to the whole 'stringing along' part.

Especially when she's not cut out for a casual 'friends with benefits' thing with the guy she's been in love with for how long now?

Too much time to count.

She'd be so concerned, her entire outlook of her daughter would change. She'd think June's a pitiful mess, that she needs saving but the problem is, June knows what she's doing.

And she's okay with that because it's better to have him in some way than not have him at all.

And she does not need her mother reminding her about why this is a disastrous idea, June is happy and that's all that matters.

He is making June happy.

And one night is all they've spent with each other.

Think about how much healing uncountable nights spent on that kind of high would do to her?

It's too tempting to lose.

Or to be put up for judgement from Maureen Holloway, no matter how right she must be.

"It was Emma", June rolls her eyes, easily lying through her teeth — having an overprotective mother would do that to you — "She was sending me her weird jokes again".

Maureen watches her daughter, believing her but also knowing deep down that, her precious little Juniper is hiding something from her.

Something that makes her happy but she doesn't want her mother to know about it.

Inhaling as she steps up to the fridge, picking up one of the grocery bags from the counter, Maureen nods laughing quietly.

"Yeah, her jokes are weird".

June deflates in relief.

What use is a secret if it doesn't mind-numbingly ruin you with its end?

***
the 1989 tv vault tracks gave me a lot of inspiration for this book, that's all i'm saying 🤭