𝟎𝟏𝟐. 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐞

⎯⎯ 𝐚𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

⎯⎯ 𝐚𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

instagram stories !

𝗲𝗺𝗵𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗺𝗮𝗻
4 𝗁

𝗲𝗺𝗵𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗺𝗮𝗻4 𝗁

𝕵une knew it was going to be a bad night but this is just . . . . colossal.

Emma, true to her word, has mostly stayed by her side all night with Chelsea hovering around but it’s just something about being surrounded by people she'd rather not interact with outside of classes that's getting to her.

Especially when she's pretty sure a lot of them aren't exactly fond of her.

She's always had a hard time making friends — in school, it was due to the fact that she couldn't keep a handle on her mouth and when Luke came along she was pretty much satisfied with just having him to refer to as a "friend" — and that's sort of followed her to college too.

She has grown up now obviously, matured a lot and now, it's not as bad as it used to be because there's Emma and there's Chelsea and a few of her classmates that are really sweet to her but getting close with more people has been an exhausting task in itself which her social meter is definitely not equipped for.

So, she's just resorted to having two actual friends and a few acquaintances.

But today the lack of social interaction with new people is actually revealing itself when she'd rather not be aware of its existence.

And she wouldn't really think much about it if it weren't for the fact that Chelsea's 'friend' — Devon, as he's called — seems like a genuinely nice person who's sort of interested in talking to her in a corner of this crowded room and yet she's still praying that he realises she's a little bit insane and walks away for the sake of his own sanity.

" . . . . so yeah, that's basically my plan for this summer", the raven-haired boy shrugs smiling quietly as she blinks at him.

"That actually sounds kinda cool", June comments attempting a smile because hello, spending his summer at an environment expendition program in Norway is actually kinda cool.

"I just hope I don't blank out or something. People scare me sometimes", he furrows his brows looking at the bottom of his cup.

If you only knew.

June laughs under her breath as she straightens up.

"I'm sure you'll be alright. You're doing good with me right now", she shrugs.

He looks up with an amused smile.

"That's because you're really easy to talk to".

There's something fluttering deep inside of her, some weird admonition begging to be fueled into existence but a part of her seems to be preventing it from taking fruition.

It's not a good feeling, this deliberate closed-offness because a part of you still believes something could be different in the future and you might just get what you've been pining after since ages.

June easily waves it off.

Emma chooses that very moment to materialise by her side and question if she's ready to go home, if Devon would be so kind as to drop Chelsea at her dorm since they both live next door to each other and within a couple of minutes, the four of them find themselves out on the sidewalk bidding their goodbyes and walking towards their respective rides.

"June, hey".

June halts in place glancing back with a raised brow as Devon hesitantly lingers by in hopes of talking to her one last time.

She swallows gesturing for Emma to get into the car, the blonde obliging with pursed lips.

"Well, I was thinking . . .", he stuffs his hands in his pockets looking straight into her eyes and for a second there, she almost finds herself thinking he's pretty.

Could be her type too if she tried.

"I had a great time tonight and I was wondering if you'd be up for some coffee anytime soon? I know an amazing waffle place, Chelsea says you love them so", he awkwardly shifts on his feet waiting for her to react.

A strain accumulates in her system, her mind running back and forth between various possibilities which is stupid because it's really just a matter of yes or no.

But would it be fair to anyone if she said yes knowing her heart's set on someone who couldn't care less?

She's not a bad person, she can't do that.

Her lips part, "Sure, that sounds fun".

He looks relieved and — is that joy behind his pale blue irises? — nods grinning.

"I'll need your number".

June smiles slightly, "You can take it from Chelsea" and with a final smile meant just for her, he departs letting her enter the car with Emma still waiting as a silent spectator and a million thousand questions running through her head.

Because she just secured a sort of date with a nice guy and yet her tender heart still feels like it is rupturing in on itself.

***
june is the realest person ever, besides -zegraslvr ofc