𝟎𝟒𝟑. 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐞

⎯⎯ 𝐣𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

⎯⎯ 𝐣𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

𝕿he energy in the car is high.

A chaotic bubble of constant conversation surrounds the seven people situated in different sections of the car, laughter and groans emanating from every quip and every weird remark.

Quinn, the designated driver for this drive, shakes his head at something Luke comments from beside June in the middle seating of the car and refocuses on the road ahead.

A loud ringtone pierces through the air momentarily distracting the group and silencing them.

"Who is it?", Quinn glances at Jack — who's seated in the passenger seat — when he goes to check Quinn's phone lying in the cup holder.

"It's . . . . Cassie".

For a second, the oldest Hughes stills. And that is just the right amount of time needed for his brother's lips to tip up in a smirk.

"Should I answer it?".

"Nah, I'll call her back".

"Hmm", Jack taps his chin turning his head to look at a clearly curious June looking at Quinn from her place between Luke and Cole.

"What do you think, Bug?".

Her gaze catches his and a spark of mischief alights between them. He knew she'd have his back in this and damn does that feel good.

Her grin grows wide as the phone continues ringing.

"Answer it".

"As the lady wishes", he smiles swiping up the answer button, Quinn's protests drowning out when he brings the phone to his ear.

"Hey, Cass".

He can see Quinn's jaw tightening the exact moment a familiar voice responds.

"Oh, uhm. This isn't Quinn".

Jack's smile quadruples.

"Nope. It's Jack. Been a while. How are you?".

A shuffling and then . . .

"Oh! Jack! Hi! I'm good, I'm good, yeah. How are you? You guys are at the lake house, right?".

"I'm great, thanks. And . . .", he spares his older brother a glance, who simply stares ahead with a clenched jaw, "yeah, we're at the lake house. You home?".

She chuckles quietly.

"Uh huh. Here for the fourth. Y'know how mom would feel if I missed it".

"Yeah, I can understand".

"Tell her June says hi!".

He twists his neck to glance back at an excited June practically holding herself back from jumping in her seat.

He laughs and informs Cassie about the greeting.

"That's Cassie as in . . . Cassie?", Cole whispers from June's left while Jack converses on the phone in the front.

June nods and Luke quips up.

"Jack, invite her!".

"Yeah, do that! I wanna see who this incredible woman is", Alex adds from the seats behind them.

Jack nods mid-conversation.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah. So, hey. How about you come down to the lake house sometime? Whenever you're free, we're here for a while".

"Jack", Quinn groans under his breath.

"Uhm . . . . yeah, no that's understandable", Jack hums rubbing the back of his head.

From the one-sided replies it feels as if Cassie hasn't immediately agreed with him which is simply, unacceptable.

"Tell her I want her here too!", Trevor speaks up from beside Alex and Jack throws him a puzzled glance but quickly relays the message.

Everyone in the backseats turns to their smug friend.

June narrows her eyes, "Please tell me you didn't hook up with her".

Trevor grimaces, "What? No, the fuck? I met her for brunch a couple of times during the season. It's easy 'cause she's right there in LA".

Quinn apparently isn't so pleased which is why he silently throws him a sharp glare through the rearview mirror.

Trevor holds up his hands.

"Relax. I'd never do that to you. You're my friend".

His smirk only makes Quinn want to pull up and throw them all out of the car.

But, he's a rational man. He's better than that.

So, he continues driving.

And tunes back in just in time to hear Jack happily responding to Cassie's agreement that yes, maybe she should visit them after the fourth.

"That's amazing! Quinn will text you the address".

A few more seconds then he bids her a cheerful goodbye and hangs up, smugly sitting back with his arms crossed as everyone congratulates him on the achievement.

Quinn cuts him a frustrated glance.

Jack only smiles.

"You're welcome".

***
😋✊️