𝟎𝟑𝟕. 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐲

" 𝕷uke, I love you

" 𝕷uke, I love you. Will you marry me?".

Luke glances down affectionately at the girl staring up at him with a goofy smile, her hair sprawled all over his knees while her head rests comfortably over his thighs, her own legs curled under her on the car seat.

"Where's my ring?", he asks playing with her hair.

She scrunches her nose, thinking for a second.

"Is it okay if I wait until I'm rich enough to buy one?".

He gasps dramatically, "No ring then? Junie, you know how much I love diamonds".

She pouts playing along with his dramatics.

"Sorry, bub. Your lover's a bit broke at the moment".

"I should've gone for a rich woman".

She bats her eyelashes at him, shoving a shocked hand on his face which elicits a laugh.

"You'd leave me for money?".

He shakes his head, threading his fingers between her hair.

"Money is the reason we exist, Junie Poo".

"You did not just quote Lana. How am I supposed to ever move on now?".

He opens his mouth to comment but the argument from the front seats silences him in an instant.

June too seems to listen in on the bickering, her head cocked to the side as she listens with an obvious interest.

"What do you mean you don't know? I thought you had them".

Jack sighs exasperated.

"You never give me the keys for safekeeping. Why would you even assume that?".

"Because you never said a thing about it!".

"Because you keep the keys in your room in a place only you know. Why are we even having this conversation?".

"Because we don't have the keys, you idiot", Quinn hits the steering wheel, scowling at the windshield.

"You sure?", Jack frowns.

"You don't have the keys and I definitely don't have the keys so yes, I'm sure".

"What about you two?", Jack twists in his seat to look at June lying on the seat with her head on Luke's lap and Luke staring back at him with a confused expression.

"The keys to the lake house?", the youngest Hughes asks.

Quinn groans veering the car off to the side of the road. He shifts the gear into park and and exits the vehicle, Jack following to go check their bags in the boot.

June purses her lips, scratching her arm as she sits up to look out the back window, to ensure the brothers aren't fighting outside.

"Think Quinn's gonna kill him if the keys aren't there?".

She shrugs, "Won't he yell at us too?".

Luke huffs with a shake of his head.

"No, we're the kids. Of course we don't know where the keys are, he's never let us handle them".

"I am going to go out and see if it's time to panic", she announces pulling her door open.

Rounding towards the rear of the car, June stuffs her hands in the pocket of her shorts squinting against the sunlight bearing down on her when she approaches the quarrelling brothers.

"No key?".

Quinn momentarily glances at her over Jack's shoulder and furiously shakes his head.

"I thought it was time you started taking on some responsibilities", he throws at Jack turning back to dig through their bags.

Jack scoffs, "Responsibilities? You've never given me the keys! It's your fault".

The oldest glares ready to argue about just how much of his "fault" it is when June steps between them, smiling nervously.

"How about I look through these and you two can calm down a little? Fighting won't make the keys magically appear".

Quinn's lips part, about to retort, but Jack interrupts him.

"Yeah, thank you for being the only rational one here".

She shoots him a sharp look before pulling Quinn's duffle bag to sift through the contents making sure to check the zipped pockets inside.

Coming up with no luck, she moves to Jack's and rifles through his things praying and hoping that the keys are in here somewhere otherwise Quinn will kill Jack and they'll have to drag his dead body back home on a one hour drive to retrieve the keys from their house.

Sweat nags at the back of her neck, her untied hair suddenly feeling extra suffocating while her hands work on checking her bags as well before grabbing Luke's.

She moves Luke's things around, sweating and impatient as she navigates through the bag to the outer zipped pockets.

The feeling of cold metal against her skin never felt so better.

Triumphantly, June pulls the keys out and brandishes them in front of the brothers.

"It was in Luke's!".

"That dumbass", Jack stomps over to the car ignoring everyone else and opens Luke's door leaning in to throw daggers at him.

"You had the keys all along?".

Luke frowns, shaking his head.

"I don't even know what they look like".

"June just found them in your bag".

His eyes almost bulge out of his skull.

"I have no idea how they got there. I swear I wasn't messing with you guys".

"Then how—".

"I . . . . must've shoved them in there, in a hurry. The bags were just lying downstairs and I didn't check properly so".

Jack steps back meeting Quinn's mildly apologetic smile.

"And you were lecturing me about responsibility".

"Let's just put this past us", he declares walking away to get into the driver's seat.

***
hi 😋