𝟎𝟐𝟕. 𝐡𝐲𝐩𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐜

𝕷uke huffs in the passenger seat earning a tired glance from his older brother who's heard nothing but whines over the past fifteen minutes it has taken June to come downstairs

"What the fuck does she think 8:30 means?", the youngest Hughes shifts in his seat to look out the window, exhaling in relief only a second later when he spots his best friend.

"Thank god. I thought you died", he comments when she pulls the back door open and shuffles inside.

June snorts, "Looking hot isn't easy. It takes time, you bitch".

That immediately attracts Jack's attention, who had been mindlessly scratching at the steering wheel until then.

"Woah, okay. I see what you mean. You look really gorgeous", Luke remarks glancing back with an approving nod.

Jack mimicks his movement and turns his head, gaze instantly falling on a smug June tapping her manicured fingers against her bare knees in anticipation.

She looks . . . indescribable, to say the least.

Her hair falls loosely over her shoulders, the large cream coloured bow on the bodice of her dress light against her tanned skin with the black fabric under it quietly and delicately hugging her curves accentuating her body in the best way possible.

Hypnotic would be an understatement when it comes to June Bauer.

Jack finds it difficult to tear his gaze away from yet his lips remain parted, not a single word making it past.

"What?", June laughs nervously tugging at the hem of her dress.

He forces himself out of the daze, blinking rapidly to stop staring at her like he's never seen a human before.

He clears his throat and settles back on the seat, putting the car into drive.

"You look good", he simply states, pulling into the road.

Jack's eyes flicker towards the rear view mirror to catch her reaction and he's almost surprised to see her looking back at him.

His gaze once again falls down to her dress, slowly and graciously trailing up to meet her pursed stare.

She coughs glancing away to hide her very, very obvious blush.

But he clocks it in which makes him seem even more insufferable to her as he looks back at the road.

"Junie, stay close when we get there. Alright?".

"Mom asked you for that?".

Luke groans vigorously shaking his head.

"Just listen to me for once, please?", she scoffs but he continues taking her sound of disapproval for affirmation, "Thank you".

Maureen called Jack too but he's decided against teasing June for it.

The thing is, Jack kind of likes the fact that her mother trusts him enough to ask him to look after her daughter in a room full of strangers.

It makes him feel . . . . important which is weird because he has a lot of things to feel important about?

It's complicated, obviously.

***
the next few chapters 🤭🤭🤭🤭