chapter 124

AFTER THEIR DISCOVERY, RICK AND HIS GROUP SPENT A FEW DAYS TRYING TO COME UP WITH A PLAN.

They told Deanna and a few trust worthy people about the canyon, but didn't want to worry anyone else until they knew how to deal with it.

And once they did come up with a fool-proof plan, they gathered everyone into Deanna's house to inform them,

"My team... we saw it early on," Heath, a member of the group that just got back on a long-term run, began to explain the reservoir, "back when we were on one of those first scouts, finding out what was around here. There was a camp at the bottom. The people, they must have blocked the exits with one of those trucks back when everything started to go bad. They didn't make it. They were all roamers. Maybe a dozen of them."

"No one's been back since?" Maggie asked from her spot on the couch,

"DC, every town worth scavenging are all in the other direction. And I never really felt like having a picnic next to the camp that ate itself." Heath reasoned,

"So all the while the walkers have been drawn by the sound and they're making more sound and they're drawing more in." Michonne stated,

"And here we are." Rick glanced around at everyone, "Now what I'm proposing, I know it sounds risky, but walkers are already slipping through the exits. One of the trucks keeping the walkers in could go off the edge any day now. Maybe after one more hard rain. That exit sends them east. All of them. Right at us. This isn't about if it gives, it's when. It's gonna happen. That's why we have to do this soon."

"This is... I don't even have another word for it." Carol spoke up, still putting on her facade of the innocent, weak woman with her blouses and casseroles, "This is terrifying. All of it. But it doesn't sound like there's any other way.

"Maybe there is." Carter stated, "I mean, couldn't we just build up the weak spots? I could draw up plans. I worked on the wall with Reg. Construction crew, we can try and make it safe."

"Even if we could, the sound of those walkers is drawing more and more every day." Rick shot the idea down, "Building up the exits won't change that."

"We're gonna do what Rick says, the plan he's laid out." Deanna spoke from her spot near the window, where she was staring out of. 

Vivian wasn't even sure she was listening until she spoke up just now. Her mind had been elsewhere the past few weeks, not that anyone blamed her.

"I told you all, we're gonna have Daryl leading them away." Rick continued,

Marcie opened her mouth to speak, but Sasha beat her to it, "Me, too. I'll take a car, ride next to him. Can't just be him. I'll keep 'em coming, Daryl keeps 'em from getting sloppy."