chapter 99

THERE WASN'T A WAY OUT OF THIS.

Daryl wouldn't be able to shoot the kid with the doors like this.

"C'mon!" The kid growled and Daryl pressed on Marcie's back, urging her forward.

She got through the doors and got onto her feet next to Carol, "Hands up, all of you." The two women raised their hands as Daryl got through the doors, not letting go of his weapon as he glared at the kid, "Lay down your crossbow."

"You got some sack on you." Daryl commented

"Look, nobody has to get hurt. I just need weapons, that's it." The kid explained, "So, please, lay down your crossbow."

"Well, since you asked so nicely." Marcie rolled her eyes,

Daryl placed his crossbow down gently before the kid forced them back into the corner, "Back up." He grabbed Daryl's crossbow, keeping the gun pointed towards them, and wrapped the strap around his shoulder, "Sorry about this." He backed away, glancing at the tents filled with walkers, "You look tough. You'll be all right." He took out a knife and slashed the fabric, letting the walkers out.

Marcie and Daryl quickly got their knives out, stabbing at the walkers as they approached. Carol took out her gun and shot the last walker before aiming at the kid,

Daryl pushed her arm down, forcing her to miss.

They ran after the kid, who already had a head start. He blocked the door that led to the parking garage, locking them into the bridge.

The trio went to another door that led to a lower level. They went around a floor that was clearly under construction at the time of the apocalypse and searched for the parking garage, 

"Three bullets." Carol scoffed as they followed behind Daryl, "We're in the middle of a city. He was stealing our weapons. Did you think I was gonna kill him? I was aiming for his leg. Could that have killed him? Maybe, I don't know. But he was stealing our weapons."

Daryl stopped at a door, checking it to see it was locked before taking out his knife to open it, 

"He's a damn kid." Daryl grumbled,

"Without weapons we could die. Beth could die." Carol commented,

"We'll find more weapons." Marcie stated, crossing her arms and waiting for Daryl to open the door,

"I don't want us to die. I don't want Beth to die. I don't want anybody at the church to die, but I can't stand around and watch it happen either." The older woman ranted, "I can't. That's why I left. I just had to be somewhere else."