chapter 36

VIVIAN CLIMBED UP INTO THE UPPER LEVEL OF THE BARN, WHERE RICK HELD A ROPE IN HIS HANDS,

He glanced over at her, "The nights are getting colder and we're pretty exposed. I was thinking... Maybe we could clear this place out, station lookouts up here."

She nodded, "Or instead of living like farm animals, we could talk to Hershel about staying in the house."

Rick paused for a moment, "All right. That works, too." He moved away from her and kneeled down,  twisting the rope around to make a noose,

"Is that really the best way to do this?" Vivian asked, crossing her arms over her chest, "To... string him up?"

"I have no idea. It's my first time." Rick responded before pausing, "Look, I don't know how you feel about the death penalty, but-"

"What I do know is that the world has changed. And, after everything that's happened, you and Shane agree on this." Vivian interrupted,

Rick looked up at her, "So you support this decision?"

She maintained eye contact for a moment before glancing out the barn window towards the house, where Liam was. She wanted to support Rick on this, he was the closest thing to a leader they had. But she had to think about what Lillian and Trevor would want for their child. 

To grow up in a world where you could believe in people. A world where murder and death wasn't the only way.

"I have to think about Liam." Vivian stated,

Rick stood, "You don't think those people would kill him without a second thought?"

"The world only ended a few months ago, Rick. Do you think humanity faded away that quickly to the point where they would murder a toddler?"

"There are no laws anymore, no authority. There's nothing to stop them." Rick insisted,

"Except us." Vivian stepped towards him, "Like you said, they left this kid for dead. No one is looking for him. We drive him away from town, away from the farm, alive, and he'll owe us. Tell him if we ever see him again, he's a dead man."

"Why are you so against this? The world has changed, just like you said." Rick argued,

"Because I'm trying to raise Liam to not be a murderer. That when things get tough, death isn't the only option.  You have a son, too, Rick. Surely, you don't want him to turn cold." Vivian said, "You once said that we don't kill the living, Rick."

He stepped closer to her, leaving a very small amount of room between the two, "That was before the living tried to kill us."

Vivian stared up into his bright eyes, searching them for any sign that he didn't want to go through with killing Randall, "Since when did Shane have any influence on what you believe in?" She whispered,