chapter 21

AFTER MARCELLA HAD ASKED DARYL ABOUT THE TIME AND FIGURED OUT THAT SHE WON THE BET AGAINST GLENN, THE SOUND OF A GUNSHOT IN THE DISTANCE PIERCED THE AIR,

The group was nervous, not that Marcie could blame them. Rick nor Shane would waste a bullet on one walker.

"You still worrying about it?" Andrea broke the silence.

Everyone paused and looked back at Lori, who was looking back at the direction the gunshot came from, "It was a gunshot."

"We all heard it." Daryl stated,

She turned back to them, "Why one? Why just one gunshot?" 

"Maybe they took down a walker." He suggested,

"Please don't patronize me." She snapped at him, "You know Rick wouldn't risk a gunshot to put down one walker, or Shane. They'd do it quietly."

"Shouldn't they have caught up with us by now?" Carol asked,

"There's nothing we can do about it, anyway." Daryl stated, trying to keep them all calm, "Can't run around these woods chasing echoes."

"So, what do we do?"

"Same as we've been." Marcie answered, "Beat the bush for Sophia, work our way back to the highway."

"I'm sure they'll hook up with us back at the RV." Andrea assured Lori.

They went to continue but paused once more when Andrea stopped to speak to Carol, "I'm sorry for what you're going through. I know how you feel."

Carol gave her a small smile, "I suppose you do. Thank you. The thought of her, out here by herself.. It's the not knowing that's killin' me. I just keep hopin' and prayin' she doesn't wind up like Amy." The older woman paused, "Oh, God! That's the worst thing I ever said."

Andrea took a moment to respond, "We're all hoping and praying with you, for what it's worth."

Daryl approached the two women, "I'll tell ya what it's worth, not a damn thing. It's a waste of time, all this hopin' and prayin'. We're gonna locate that little girl. She's gonna be just fine." He stepped back and and looked around at everyone, "Am I the only one zen around here? Good lord."

Meanwhile, back on the highway, Vivian was organising the stuff they found while Liam played in the grass between the road, keeping an eye on him while Dale worked on some of the cars, collecting spare parts.

They insisted T-Dog rested. His cut needed to be stitched and given antibiotics, but unfortunately, couldn't find medical items anywhere, despite how many cars were piled up.