chapter 106

MARCIE LAID IN DARYL'S ARMS, FACING HIM

It had been a long time since she's seen him sleep. Even back at the prison, he was the last to bed and the first to rise.

He's deserved rest, more than the rest of them.

She brushed some of his hair out of his face and his eyelids fluttered open, "Mornin'." Marcie whispered, a small smile on her face.

Last night had been...a dream. In a good way, to Marcie. They had taken their relationship to another level. They had never discussed the terms of connection, never called each other boyfriend or girlfriend, but they both knew they were so much more.

Even after the farm, when they were separated physically, their emotions for each other grew.

There was a knock on the door and the two sat up suddenly, with Daryl reaching for the comforter to cover their nude bodies.

Vivian's head peeked through the now open door, "Hey, we're heading..." She paused when she spotted their red cheeks, "Uh...We'll just wait... downstairs..."

She closed the door and the two scrambled to get their clothes on. Daryl went downstairs to ask to Rick while Marcie finished up.

She stood in her doorway, staring around at her childhood room.

It was the end of an era.

Everybody piled into the vans. Marcie sat in the back, next to Daryl, while Vivian sat in the passenger seat with Liam on her lap so he could look out the window.

It took only around an hour before they reached the border to North Carolina, "Goodbye, Georgia." Vivian whispered as she spotted the signs.

It took four days to get to Virginia. Multiple times the group had to stop to refuel, search for food and water, and even more gas.

The group settled about ten miles away from Noah's settlement. Most stayed there while a small group decided to go to Noah's group to scout it out and make sure it was safe first.

Vivian wanted to go. As much as she liked being Liam's caretaker, she needed to go out on her own.

So she climbed into the back of the SUV with Glenn, while Michonne and Rick sat in front of her and Tyreese drove with Noah in the passenger seat, giving directions.

"How far out?" Rick asked after a few minutes,

"Five miles." Noah answered,

Rick nodded before lifting the radio to his lips, "Hey, Carol."

"I'm here." The older woman responded,

"We're halfway there. Just wanted to check the range."

"Everybody's holding tight. We've made it 500 miles. Maybe this can be the easy part." Carol tried to be positive,