chapter 101

DARYL AND CAROL CAME BACK THAT NEXT NIGHT.

Without Marcie. 

But they had someone else with them, Noah.

He explained what happened, how they had a lead on where Beth was, how Marcie got hit by a car before being taken by the same group that Noah had escaped from.

They were in Atlanta. 

It was a huge detour, a dangerous one, but it was Marcie. She had saved all of them multiple times, and now it was their turn to save her.

Daryl wanted to leave right away, but Rick refused. He wanted to fortify the church first, make it safe enough for the others before leading another group to the city.

He wanted to split them up even further.

Vivian knew she had to go to Atlanta. Without Glenn there, she was the only one with the most experience getting in and out of the city.

But she didn't want to leave the kids behind. She couldn't.

It was up to Rick, she knew that. And she was sure he was gonna force her to stay behind.

"He wants to go to Atlanta," Rick sighed from next to Vivian as they nailed some board to the window. Carl and Noah were at the next window feet away, Rick wanted to keep an eye on him and make sure he wasn't dangerous, "but I can't have that."

"Then you stay." Vivian lowered her hammer and looked over at the group's leader, "I'll go."

"I owe it to Marcie."

He had internal conflict, Vivian could tell just by looking at him. He had left Marcie behind before, and they all saw how that turned out. 

"We all owe Marcie." Vivian responded,

"I owe her more."

Once again, he was right. Marcie was the person who brought him to his family, right at the start. She kept Judith safe after the fall of the prison. She sacrificed herself for him so many times.

He had left her behind once, at Woodbury. And she ended up with permanent physical and mental scars because of it.

Vivian stared up at him, trying to read his eyes, "You want me to stay behind... don't you?"

"I know you'll be safe here. And I know you'll protect them." Rick reasoned,

Vivian sighed, placing her hands on her hips, "How many times are we gonna separate? We're all over the place, Rick. Glenn and Maggie are gone now, so is Marcie, and what if you guys don't make it out? What are we supposed to do?"