10; Mrs. Autistic

EDITED

We walked back to the living room. Fatima and Sameera were serving food while Khadijah brought the remaining snacks and stuff. I noticed how both of them talked to each other, normally. Fatima didn't look shy and Sameera didn't lower her voice. I sat on the now empty cushion that Sadiq was seated on and crossed my legs. I wanted to help but Khadijah had refused. Ikram sat and brought out her phone. She and Affan had previously started chatting. He asked her to meet him at the garden when she was done. 

My stomach rumbled, I didn't realise I was hungry. They were still serving the gentle men. All of them occupied the dining table and some sat on the mat Khadijah had spread. There were many. I saw Muhammad, he was on the floor, laughing at what someone said. He wasn't the only one, Haydar, Affan and others as well. 

I saw the way Ikram and Affan looked at each other. She would blush and turn away, covering her face with the black veil she was putting on and that made me burst into bits of laughter.

"What's funny?'" Haydar asked. I just realised how loud I sounded.

"We will like to know" Affan shouted. I looked at them and said "Nothing"

Umar.

Umar isn't here but he said he was coming. I glanced at the wall clock and shrugged. He might be on his way.

Soon enough, I was served food. Fried rice with chicken and coleslaw. It was succulent. Khadijah cooks well. She was seated beside me. I turned to her  and asked "Where's brother in-law?"

"He's with friends, but he will be here soon"

"We miss you" I said, blankly. We truly did.

"You think living in this big for nothing house is fun, I swear it isn't"

"But you have brother in-law" I've always called him brother in-law. Since the day I saw them talking. And Voila! It happened.

"True" she replied.

"Aisha, I'll be in the graden" Ikram said and winked. I nodded and turned back to Khadijah. Sameera was chatting with Mum and Mama. Hafsat left long ago. They were all laughing at what Sameera has just uttered.

"I invited Umar, but he isn't here" I started.

"You guys are friends?" She looked puzzled.

"Yeah"

"It's good though" she paused and ate a spoonful of rice "He's a good guy"

"I know where this is heading to" I said.

She looked at me and laughed. People say we have the same voice and laughter. I believe it though. She stopped and drank water then stood up and headed to the kitchen.

I turned around and saw Muhammad, our eyes locking into each other's immediately. I didn't look away, neither did he, not until my phone rang. I picked it up and left the living room, standing by a corner and then swiped to answer.

"Are you still expecting me Aisha, I won't be coming. Ammi is ill" Umar said. He sounded bad.

"What happened?"

"She fell unconscious. She's been having frequent headaches. Right now she's in her room. I was there with her and excused myself to call you. I'm sorry"

"You don't have to be sorry. I hope she gets well soon"

He said bye and hung up. Just then, the door got closed meaning somebody had just gone outside. I put on my sandals and followed as well. I walked to the garden and saw Ikram and Affan sitting on the grass, speaking softly. I turned around and Muhammad was seated at the other side. He was looking up with a blank expression. No one can tell whether he's sad or happy.

I walked up to him and sat. I don't think he noticed my presence until I cleared my throat. 

"Mrs autistic" he said. The blank expression was still visible.

I looked at him but did not reply. I shifted a bit and checked the time before responding.

"Thank you, for yesterday" I said, briefly.

"A beautiful girl is always welcome" I turned and smiled. He just called me beautiful. I hid my blush and both of us were quiet. He also had a british accent but nothing compared to that of Sameera.

"Tell me about her, Sameera" I said and he looked at me.

I was expecting him to start talking but instead, he stood up and left. That was the rudest thing someone has ever done to me.

I don't regret anything I said to him yesterday.

Ignoramus.

Yup...👌
Don't forget to vote
Comment
And share