38; How?

I woke up to the sound of my ringing phone. I picked it up and swiped on answer without even checking the ID caller.

"Aisha I'm outside please come" A deep voice spoke when I answered. I quickly checked the ID caller and it read Habiby with thousands of hearts and emojis.

"It's 2am for Allah's sake. I don't even want to talk you. You saboteur! I never thought you could stoop so low" I replied and he sighed.

"Just come, please Aisha. Please darling. I swear it's isn't what you think. Wallah. Just come"

I agreed reluctantly and wore a hijab that reached my feet. I'm sure I look horrible so I just rinsed my face in my bathroom before leaving.

I tiptoed gently and opened the door to the living room and stepped out. I walked further to the gate and it was opened. Our guard was conversing with Muhammad.

"Don't you sleep?" I asked the man and he smiled and excused us.

I stood next to Muhammad and he just waved his hand at me. I mentally rolled my eyes and took a step back.

"What you saw yesterday isn't what you're thinking" He finally spoke after minutes of silence.

"Oh please! My eyes can't deceive me"

"She's my step sister. Did you think after that incident I was just gonna forget about you and move on with life" I looked at him for some seconds and huffed.

"Anyone would say the same thing. I'm not that dumb Muhammad"

"Really? How do you want me to prove myself then?" He asked and I shrugged my shoulders. The only thing on my mind right now is sleep.

"I want to sleep!" I pouted and he face palmed himself. I moved back and leaned on the wall then closed my eyes.

"Can we talk later" I said and left him there. I didn't have time for any response so I didn't bother to wait.

I went back inside the house and I totally forgot that dad doesn't sleep at night.

Just as I took a step, the lights were switched on and I froze on the spot.

"Where are you coming from?" His husky voice asked and I was quiet.

"Where are you coming from?!"

"O-utside"

"To do what? Meet that dirty psycho right?" He asked again and I just stared at him. Was he referring to Muhammad? But Muhammad isn't dirty, maybe he meant it in a negative way.

"He isn't a dirty psycho" I retorted, my voice as low as possible.

"Shut up! You even have the guts to talk back. What did you go to do outside? This is the last time I will repeat this question!"

Words were just running through my mind but none of them were able to escape my mouth.

"I went to meet the guard!" I heard myself saying.

Wait, did I just say that? Of all things?

"You're having an affair with Bala?" He questioned me and sat on his sofa.

"What? No I'm not"

"Then why did you go to meet him?"

Seriously? This man asks too much questions.

"I actually went to meet Muhammad. What bad did he do to you that you won't let me marry him? I really love him. Really! If you could tear my chest open and bring out my heart, you'll see that his name is written all over it. Just give a him a chance. Just one petty chance to prove himself" I pleaded with him and he just drank what I'm guessing should be coffee.

"You're resuming tomorrow right?" He asked and I gave him a blank look.

"Why are you looking at me like that? University!"

I just yawned and walked out of the living room, heading to my room and plopping myself on the bed.

~•~

There's this feeling that has been sending chills down my spine. Like that of someone's constant stares on me. I gulped down my whole coffee and dropped it on the table then turned around and looked this way and that.

I picked my tote bag which consists of some books, stationeries and personal stuffs then walked out of the Canteen.

I came very early today and the school is eerily quiet. Just the sound of wind blowing the trees and birds chirping.

I bent down to adjust my shoes and when I looked up, something passed fast and swiftly. Fear gripped my heart and I broke into a jog of mine.

I turned my head around to see if I was being followed and when I faced front, a black figure was standing and I fell to the ground immediately.

"Ah!" I let out a soft scream.

"Shush" the person said then gently unmasked his or her face and came closer to me. To say I was shocked was an understatement.

"What are you doing here?" I asked and the person let out humourless laugh  then frowned.

"Nothing, just decided to show up. I'm not done with you!..." The person spatted in my face and raised my chin with a finger.

"...Aisha" the person concluded.

"How did you escape?" I managed to ask. The person's breath stunk and had a bad body odour.

"That's none of your business-" the person stopped speaking when scholar's from the hostel started moving out.

"See you soon" the person said and vanished. I sat on the floor still wandering how the person managed to escape and what other problems she's going to bring into my life. I wasn't ready for any shit right now.

~•~
I sat on my seat and stared blankly at the board. The lecturer just ranted non-stop and I was lost in my own world

"Why are you staring like that?" A person asked, jolting me out of thoughts. Oh perfect! People never sieze to scare or interrupt you in the middle of...

I turned and faced the person and I our faces were so close that I had to move back a bit.

"You scared me" i whispered through gritted teeth and he smiled.

"How are you?"

"None of your business"

"Darling! Come on, how are you?" He insisted and I plastered a fake smile on my face.

"Shut up! You know this woman has bunny ears. I won't be surprised if she-"

"Aisha Gwadabe! Stand up" I was cut of by the high pitched voice of Mrs. Asabe.  I sighed and stood up then folded my arms on my chest and looked straight into her eyes.

"Who were you talking to?" She asked and I rose a brow.

"The person seated next to me" I replied

"No one's there young lady"

Couldn't she see? I averted my gaze to the person and the space was empty. Just perfect!

"So who were you talking to?"

"Myself"

"Are you possessed?" She asked and I rolled my eyes mentally.

"I suppose" I murmured under my breath and she looked at me critically.

"What did you-"

And next, everyone's gaze darted to the door which was thrown wide open.

Jazzy and his minions with some guy in a mask, which I recognised as Muhammad were drumming and singing.

I picked up my bag and found my way out when everyone became crazy.