Chapter 56: Anna Croft (2)

I hadn't noticed, or rather, I had slipped it to the back of my mind, but I was hungry and tired once again.

The agility that let me be light on my feet, and the strength that fueled my muscles were gone. But I didn't complain, or speak at all as I followed Anna Croft through the ruined state of Washington DC.

This time Anna Croft had assembled a small group, with one of them being Iris, who appeared smug for an unknown reason.

Suddenly, however, the faces of the other members changed, and Iris pulled at me quickly to leap upwards like a cat into a nearby still-withholding tree.

Despite not needing to, Iris placed her hand over my mouth to prevent me from speaking, whose face was more serious than before.

What happened? I was a little curious, but it wasn't before long before I heard the sounds of combat from up ahead.

Something about them sounded familiar.

Before I could contemplate on that thought, however, Iris had roughly yanked my shirt without so much as a warning, and we were on the move, rushing through the streets.

"---!"

A vague roar belonging to the undead.

"--k!"

Another one resounded after the first, with increasing clarity as we approached.

"--Godd*mn-"

That voice was one I had recognized.

For the first time since departing from Anna's base, I was shaken, and my breath hitched in my throat.

What was he doing here? Had he been swept up in my teleportation because he was in contact with me at that time?

"You annoying magots!"

A halberd swept over the weak lesser grade 8 undead species, splicing them neatly from their skulls in a wide sweep. The undead gave a last twitch, before finally dissipating into a purplish dark mist.

Jung Youngho. He had followed me over to the Washington Dome.

Despite Jung Youngho's expert dispatching skills however, the commotion had drawn more undead that quickly replaced the decreasing count.

There was also something else that was strange. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but his movement looked off.

Is it me or does he seem weaker than before?

A shrill sound of a whistle disrupted the movements of the undead.

In the brief moment of reprieve, I heard the pop of a ring being dismantled, and something was thrown into the crowd of undead.

At first Jung Youngho looked stunned. However, when he recognized the object that was thrown on the ground, he cursed.

"F*ck!"

-BOOM!-

A grand fire had suddenly leapt and spread across the screaming bodies of the lucky undead in the periphery, and the shockwaves rattled the buildings, broken glass clinking to the ground.

I had been pulled by Iris after that shocking operation into a distance far away.

From beside me, I found Anna had nabbed Jung Youngho and was successfully pulling him along as well. That made me re-evaluate Anna's abilities.

After we were a safe distance away, Anna and her team members set up some sort of barrier after riding the site of any stray undead silently.

It was also at the time that Jung Youngho recognized me.