Chapter 37: Trap (1)

"Can you stop dragging me around everywhere?" Jung Youngho complained as we were making our way to Chungmuro station after establishing a promising future alliance with the Beauty King.

If things went well and Min Jiwon got the crown, then the non-aggression pact was pretty much set in stone.

But only if things went well.

"Hey, are you listening to me?" Jung Youngho called me.

I retreated out of my daze.

"Sorry, could you repeat that?" I said as a reflex.

Jung Youngho clicked his tongue at me. "I say, you've been like this ever since leaving that woman's place. What, are you scared of them?"

"No." I replied, despite feeling the tremors over my nerves.

Although I had got out in one piece and performed better than I thought I would, my body started showing signs of discomfort as we got farther away.

An irregular heart beat, shaking, a tightness in my chest and sudden feeling of a parched throat.

I'm nervous.

That was what my body was telling me.

It made me feel incredulous that I was so calm during the performance.

"If not scared, then what?" Jung Youngho rolled his eyes.

"Just nervous." I gave my honest reply. "By the way, why did you act out back there?"

"Act out?" Jung Youngho didn't appear to know what I was talking about.

"When you smashed the cup on the desk and started insulting Min Jiwon, that's what I'm talking about." I was getting a little worked up now that I recalled his fiasco.

"If I hadn't done that, anything after that wouldn't have worked, dumb*ss." Jung Youngho irritably spoke.

"What do you-" I spun on him, and fell silent.

His words might be true. After all, Min Jiwon immediately agreed after Jung Youngho revealed his identity. He did break the initiative Min Jiwon took during the conversation. And, thanks to him, I could get my head clear.

"Hm?" Jung Youngho arched his brow cockily.

"..." I didn't respond, not sure of how to respond, or how to think of Jung Youngho.

My perception of him was changing again.

Did he intentionally help me? If he did...

...why?

Why did he help me?

Did I....seem similar to that boy in Jung Youngho's memories?

The thought that came out of nowhere, but it was always lurking around somewhere, until the time it was excavated.

All of a sudden I wanted to ask,

Who do you see me as?

But instead I kept quiet, keeping this question locked in my heart as I looked at Jung Youngho's figure, since it could all be a false conception on my part.

In this awkward silence, I was saved by a silhouette up ahead waving their arm in greeting.

"...Do you have that much memory and magic power to waste, making so many avatars like this?" I roasted the person with schadenfreude at first contact.

A small tremor still remained in my body, so I hoped that it didn't seep into my voice.

"Aw, 'cmon, I'm showing you sincerity by showing you my real body." A rather short female with a bob cut rebuked.