Chapter 45: That, Which is Not in the Script (1)

A horn sounded early in the morning just as we reached the clearing. The soldiers on both sides were staring each other down in the face of death.

"Alright, let's head over to Gu Daesung," I turned, speaking to my companions.

Lightly glancing over at the now rushing soldiers, we ran to Gu Daesung under their cover.

The second time we went on the offense against Gu Daesung, he was surprised.

"It's you guys again!"

We watched as Gu Daesung cursed as we attacked his forces.

The combination of Na Bori, Lee Jihye and Jung Youngho was amazing, being able to hold back all the incarnations on Gu Daesung's side, and repel the soldiers pressing in under Gu Daesung's command.

"Are you on that witch's side?!"

It was obvious who Gu Daesung was referring to.

In fact, I wanted to draw up a non-aggression pact with him and Cha Sangkyung like I did with Min Jiwon, but the current situation didn't allow me to have that.

After all, we had promised to help Min Jiwon in this scenario before the contract's effects would be finalized.

So I decided to throw it all under the table and think about it later.

[The winner of the second battle has been determined.]

Just as we were beginning to feel fatigued, a scenario-wide announcement resounded through the battlefield, audible to only the ears of the incarnations.

[Winners: Incarnation Min Jiwon, incarnation...]

In the next moment, against Cha Sankyung and Gu Daesung's will, the soldiers on their side retreated backwards under some mysterious influence.

"Wha-" Gu Daesung seemed stunned at the situation after being preoccupied with us.

"Leader, we have to return, or we'll be surrounded!" An incarnation who was out of breath advised the Earth King.

Gu Daesung looked at his subordinates who were wounded or fatigued, gauging his odds, and against us, who were equally tired.

Still, Gu Daesung decided to back-off at the end of the weighing.

"Tch." Gu Daesung clicked his tongue and sent a glare towards us. "Let's go! Retreat!"

Gu Daesung and the other incarnations shifted back at the order, and we did not pursue.

When the second battle concluded in Min Jiwon's victory, we were able to advance to a new camping area closer to the Baekjae's stronghold.

The lines of Baekjae forces and Silla forces were being pushed to the 'original state' once more, resembling what it had at the start of the scenarios.

That situation would soon change over the course of the next few days.

"This time, heroes, refrain from taking action. We must keep the element of surprise for the next battle." Min Jiwon spoke face-to-face with us within the commander's tent some time after the battle.

A complicated terrain map with miniature figurines was propped up in the middle of the table as the focal point.

Min Jiwon was talking about the third battle that had yet to begin.

Lee Jihye raised her hand, "But wouldn't it be better to put pressure on the opponents before they get used to it?"

"That raises a fair point," Min Jiwon began, "However, the Maitreyan King and Earth King will likely have created a counter plan within the grace period before the next battle. Therefore, it is better to not appear, to conceal your abilities before more is known. In war, information is key."