Chapter 33: Jung Youngho (6)

A/N: So many ways this could be resolved, and I could have done better. But I decided talk no justu was the way.

As Jung Youngho looked at the kid with a smile in his eyes, he recalled the day he found the boy.

The boy at that time was not smiling, watching as the people passed him on the street, as if they were people living in a different world.

The boy's image overlapped with his, Jung Youngho's, self.

Especially his eyes which saw nothing.

When Jung Youngho was young, he didn't fit in with others either. After his parents abandoned him after divorce due to not wanting the responsibility to take care of him and handed him off to his relatives, he realized early that it was hopeless for him.

There was no future for him. So why should he try?

The despair drove him to seek refuge with groups he shouldn't have associated with, and only graduated from high school, having no funds or motivation for college.

As Jung Youngho advanced with the crowd, for some inexplicable reason, he stood in-front of the boy.

"Hey kid." Jung Youngho said, getting the boy's attention.

However, the boy only looked at him.

Bending down, Jung Youngho took a spare coin from his pocket and held it out for the boy to see.

The boy curiously peeked at it, but elicited no other emotion.

Then, with a shake of his hand, Jung Youngho caused the coin to 'disappear'.

Confusion painted the boy's features.

Once again, Jung Youngho shook his hand, and then the coin reappeared, held by Jung Youngho's fingertips.

"Here." Jung Youngho gave the coin to the boy, and then stood back up.

Jung Youngho wasn't sure what he hoped to achieve with this action.

"Um...how did you do that?" Seeing the man wanting to leave, the boy also stood up and grabbed Jung Youngho's sleeve.

There was a spark in the boy's eyes now.

And it was also the spark that made life a tiny bit better for Jung Youngho, who was no longer alone.

But of course, that would come to an end one fateful day.

At that time, the boy had snuck into one of Jung Youngho's performances, awaiting for the time that Jung Youngho would pop on stage with all his glory. For the cheers his ahjussi was always talking about.

Perhaps he thought, This will surprise him later!...as he smiled, thinking of his ahjussi's reaction at seeing him in the audience.

Unfortunately, out of nowhere, the lights suddenly went out, and people began to mutter in confusion.

A glow emerged amidst the confused crew, above in the air, and a creature popped out.

[Hihi! Welcome humans, to a new show! Let's give a round of applause to our great contributors, the constellations. Now now, you may all be confused, and oh yes, what hilarious reactions. Come on, play the laughing track.]

Unfortunately, there was only silence for the Dokkaebi as people tried to make sense of it all.

But for the boy, his eyes only lit up at the fantastical creature coming to life in-front of him.

[Ahem. This time, the show's actors are none other than...everyone one of you in this theater!]

"What nonsense!" Someone couldn't hold back and shouted out their exclamations.