Chapter 18: Decision (1)

A/N: There is not really any story development for the next three chapters~

It's time to know what was going on in Lee Sookyung's mind to put Han Ryuyang in that group, I thought to myself grudgingly.

I mean, just why?

And that was the sentiment I had when I entered the office I drifted into countless times before, confronting Lee Sookyung for the first time where we could both see the other.

Lee Sookyung sat behind the desk with the mask laid unceremoniously to the side and bandages wrapped around her arms, legs and neck.

It appeared her battle was not an easy one.

"It's good to see you finally." Lee Sookyung smiled with her gentle face, which I didn't know why was laid bare to me instead of her subordinates.

"Good to see you too, Leader Lee." I nodded my head and replied in the same manner, not really keen to continue with the pleasantries.

Lee Sookyung seemed to sense that too for she asked,

"Well, what is it you wish to speak to me about?"

I took a moment to organize my thoughts, so I began without trying to betray my inner dismay,

"Did you know Han Ryuyang was the mole?"

"Yes." Lee Sookyung leaned her chin onto her interlocked hands and smiled brightly.

I sucked in a deep breath to prevent myself from exploding by asking why she was smiling when she was almost screwed over.

"So...was there a reason Leader Lee put Han Ryuyang in the squad to infiltrate Indegwon station?" I probed. Maybe she had a good reason that I didn't know about.

Lee Sookyung's smile only grew bigger.

"Well, I wonder? Ohoho," She chuckled.

Before I could think about what I was doing, I was running my hand through my hair in exasperation, my expression in a frown.

"Yeah, and you almost died doing that. Good job." I snapped sarcastically.

Lee Sookyung gave a short hearty laugh and shook her head, "I was joking, child."

And when she calmed down, there was a wistful smile on her lips instead.

"I trust my companions. And, I trust you, too."

There was something about those words that brought a sting to my eyes and caused my nose to sour. When I recovered from the feeling, I felt like something fishy was going on.

"Hold on a sec. Did you put Han Ryuyang in that group on purpose?"

Lee Sookyung nodded, still smiling.

"And you trusted me?"

"Yes, and I still do."

There was a moment where we stared at each other in silence.

"...perchance, did you expect me to follow Han Ryuyang and then stop her???"

"Mm, I wouldn't go that far. Still, I trusted that you wouldn't stay still when Han Ryuyang was exposed as the mole. If not," Lee Sookyung blinked, "I wonder what would have happened to me indeed?"

"You tested me? With your life on the line? And the lives of your companions?" My jaw dropped at this sly fox. If Lee Sookyung knew, she could have confronted Han Ryuyang before I did, and none of this would have happened!

When I thought about the narrow scrapes I had-

"Yes, and I have ascertained you are a trustworthy ally." Lee Sookyung continued, "You're probably wondering why I did such a thing, if I could have easily exposed the avatar. Well, I have a feeling they are an insidious and scheming fellow. Just as I suspected them, they had already suspected I knew, so I had to lower their guard.