Chapter 7: To Listen (1)

I looked out the nearest window to the gloomy skies up above. The patter of water trickling down the ceiling and walls greeted my ears.

"Where-" Lee Jihye looked startled and Na Bori instantly paled at the atmosphere resembling a horror movie set.

Looking around at the water worn surroundings, a strange feeling began to crop up.

Hm? Why was the scenery so familiar? Deja vu? But I had never been here before.

Before I had time to understand my strange feeling, a scenario screen popped up before us.

[Hidden Scenario: The Other Side]

Category: Hidden

Difficulty: D

Clear Conditions: Survive for 6 hours

Time Limit: 6 hours

Compensation: Dispel Evil lv. 1, Mental Fortitude Lv. 1, 2 000 coins, ???

Failure: ---

+

[You are currently in a safe zone. Preparatory Time: 5 minutes]

[4:59]

"So, I guess you know how horror movies go?" I briefly read the panel, the information just like it was in the novel.

Na Bori was shaking. The words that came out of her lips were disjointed, and I was worried.

"ha. ha. Crybaby Jihye. Goodbye. My soul. Has. Ascended."

How could the incarnation of that sponsor be this afraid of ghosts and horror?

I paused. How could I assume Na Bori's sponsor, even if I had a suspicion? Well, the inexplicable thought of Na Bori being incongruent with the being watching the broadcast as the ironic comedy of the situation was not without merit. So I dismissed the doubt in my heart.

Passing by Lee Jihye who also started to pick up a fuss by shaking poor Na Bori violently by the shoulders, I slipped in the classroom, Lee Jihye's shouts a background tune to my search.

"Bori, get a hold of yourself!"

Ah, I found it.

[You have obtained the scenario props Oil Lamp x3 and Matchbox x1]

Retreating from the classroom, three lamps in tow, I put the lamps in my companion's hands to deter their attention.

"What's this?" Abated, Na Bori brought the lamp up to view it at all angles curiously.

Meanwhile, Lee Jihye stared at the strange contraption in her hand.

"It's a scenario prop that will help us in the scenario." I replied just as that, careful not to mention anything about ghosts that would trigger another bout of Na Bori's soul escaping from her mouth. "All you need to do is keep it lit."

"But it says here that it will deter gh-" Lee Jihye started, and an alarming premonition filled my head.

My hands slapped across Lee Jihye's mouth to muffle her words before I could even think.

She looked at me questioningly and I exclaimed "ah", letting go after realizing what I did.

"Ahem, maybe let's not mention the word 'g' for now. That's all you need to know. Na Bori." Still, I was too late.

"Na Bori?" I tried again, but only saw Na Bori staring at the description of the lamp in sheer terror, frozen in place.

Here we go again...I groaned mentally, half in resignation and the other half genuinely in concern for my companion's mental state.