Chapter 24: Spokesperson (4)

"Spy friend!" Jie Kushin was fiercely whispering to me as we dragged along the two bound members as we started on our way back to the station.

"Mhm?"

"Why are you letting these people into the station? They clearly will try to sabotage us!" Jie Kushin's eyes were full of distrust toward Tai Jeong and his companion.

"Don't worry, they aren't very strong. Plus, they have information we don't have." I whispered back to explain to Jie Kushin my decision.

Jie Kushin groaned and brushed his hair back.

"Spy friend, you seem kind of different from before."

"Of course! You should see when I start saying weird stuff when I'm tired." I joked.

"No, it's not that." For once, Jie Kushin was the one who was brushing off the joke. "How do I explain it? Just...I don't know. You're just different, spy friend."

"Different? Well, how can you tell I'm not 'me'?" I replied, puzzled.

Upset, Jie Kushin rubbed the back of his neck.

I tried to grasp what Jie Kushin was telling me, slipping into a state of understanding, but not quite understanding.

Besides, Jie Kushin did not know me very well, nor did I know him very well. Only time would tell, so it was with no suspense that he thought of me as "different".

"That reminds me, I didn't catch your name." I called the man who was the 1 167th to get off.

"...It's Him Geom." Him Geom answered grudgingly.

I pretended that Him Geom and Tai Jeong weren't secretly giving each other death glares now that all pretenses were shed, especially after Him Geom realized Tai Jeong had told me Him Geom's dirt.

He had put two and two together and knew that I didn't come about to know about the antidote naturally.

"Well, Him Geom and Tai Jeong, welcome to the station. We-" I began to gesture to the inside of the station, only to find the tall Mrs. Wang blocking the entry, staring me down.

"What are you up to now?" Her husky voice reverberated with questioning.

"Something I'll explain in a moment, Mrs. Wang." I replied, stepping past her.

Briskly walking up to the people I wanted to gather for a discussion, I called them over to a more private area.

"I'll just get to the point." I began. "If we want to have a chance of getting to the target station, we only have one day to do so. Any more than that, and I can't guarantee that we will be the ones who will be swallowed up instead."

Christina's eyes widened, and the others in the small, dingy, unflattering room of a closet showed various reactions.

For one, Mrs. Wang was surprised at first as well, but then the corners of her lips went down even more than her neutral expression.

Jie Kushin looked at me like he wanted to say something, but refrained.

As for Su Peng, he was earnestly waiting for more information to come in, keeping to himself in the corner of the closet.

"Little one, what do you mean?" Cho Youngran prompted.

"Those two that Jie Kushin captured came from running away from the representative of the station we needed to capture. They brought news that he already conquered six stations." I said solemnly.

Mrs. Wang, who was out of the loop, didn't catch on as quickly, but the others who had read up information courtesy of being with Lee Sookyung and me knew what that meant.