Forty Six

"Everything's done."

Chishiya couldn't help but re-read the short message over and over, enough for his eyes to start tearing a bit. Everything's done. A few days passed since the last time Banda's brother contacted him, the execution day being just two sad nights away. But they saved him. Sunato was free.

Another message popped up quickly.

"I would rather you don't ask about anything regarding the man we accuse of those murders. Forget about the case. He pleaded guilty and anything that happened before his arrest stays confidential. Thank you for your help, doctor Chishiya. My brother will stay with the family for some time, so please don't contact him for a while. I'll be sure to reach out to you soon.
Hideki"

They destroyed an innocent man's life in order to set the real killer free. Chishiya tried to feel bad for Niragi's long term bully but couldn't, too busy not caring about his existence. He didn't know him. He wasn't aware of what Banda's brother put the man through in order to turn himself in to police, so he couldn't be worried.

What Chishiya hated most is how succesful could wealthy people be if they only opened their wallets; but somehow being on their side to achieve these goals didn't feel horrible. Just this once. To save somebody he had feelings for.

"Look! It's him!" Chishiya's mom sat next to him on the couch and grabbed the TV remote in order to put the volume up. Chishiya momentarily put his phone away.

The news filmed a crowded mass right in front of the court. It was somewhat difficult to spot Banda, with police officers trying to make way for him; he wore a dark mask, and his eyes weren't visible either, covered by hair. Only with that view could Chishiya realize how hard it was going to be for him.

It doesn't matter if he's guilty or not. The entire country knows his name.

"Poor Sunato" His mom sighed, as if she was able to hear Chishiya's thoughts. Her eyes were glued to a giant "Sunato Banda Innocent: Set Free Two Days Before His Execution" text on the screen. "Everyone surely thinks it's a hoax now, with how suddenly they released him. But he's innocent, at least we're sure of it!"

Chishiya forced a faint smile in her direction. He's not, and it is a hoax, but you don't have to know.

They observed a group of police officers struggling to escort Banda into the van; after that the screen filled with recordings of even more people. Their shouts confirmed they weren't quite convinced about Sunato's innocence but Chishiya knew Banda's family would handle it just fine. The mass will be angry and confused, but then they'll forget. Like with every other case.

"Mom" Chishiya said quietly, with an unbothered expression still facing the TV screen. "What if I told you I have feelings for him?"

The silence filled the living room almost instantly.

With the corner of his eye he could only get a glimpse of his mom's reaction, shifting on the couch in a nervous manner.

"I- what?" She blinked confused, her hands gripping the fabric of a green dress tightly.

"I like him. I like Sunato." Chishiya turned towards her but couldn't look her in the eyes. All he could do was to bow, his hair covering the sides of his face. "I'm sorry."

"Don't by sorry, silly!" His mom tapped the couch's surface almost aggressively. "Shuntaro, it's... Well, it's not very common but I couldn't be upset about it. You're an adult and... I, you know, I was worried you'd never find anyone. If it's this man then... I have to accept it, you know. Because at least now I know you're not alone."