Twenty Seven

! +18  !

Safe to say he was devastated.

However good news Arisu thought he'd given him just then, Chishiya stopped breathing for a moment. It's over. Deep sadness squeezed his heart as his vision got cloudy, his legs suddenly having trouble holding his weight. No matter how cruel and disgusting that world was, he didn't want to leave so soon. Not yet. Purely because that meant he would have to leave Banda right when their relationship just started to shape, patiently working on a mutual understanding together. Right when everything just started to make sense. It couldn't end there. Not so soon.

"There's a game arena nearby, with a countdown until tomorrow evening. The screen says Final Game, so we can only assume that maybe..." Arisu stopped for a second. "Maybe we can go home."

Usagi just nodded as if Arisu's words needed confirmation, sending Chishiya a worried look since he hadn't reacted much, a bit absent. Just being there, staring into nothing. Banda quickly noticed that too.

"We're not sure if it means the end of games, or just the end of some level that would bring another game difficulty. But we should think positively" Usagi added.

"It will most likely be the end. And afterwards we'll be able to go back to the normal world" Banda said so everyone looked at him, besides Chishiya who still just stared into nothing, awfully quiet. "That's what Chishiya wanted to tell you. We've learned from the Jack of Hearts that there would be a possibility to go back. Combine that with what you saw and we can safely assume this is the end."

Arisu, Tatta and Usagi smiled, exchanging looks and gasps of happiness. Only Ann remained quiet, although it was visible her body felt a wave of relief too.

"Well then let's make sure we finish the last game together, everyone" Arisu said, a big grin appearing on his face like it was the happiest day of his life. Banda observed him with well hidden interest. This boy doesn't even know if he survives that game yet he's so optimistic. That's naive but if Chishiya had him by his side for some time that attitude must've been comforting.

"We should look for food, I'm hungry and exhausted" Tatta sighed and Banda pointed at the building they stayed at.

"Over there. We've got a lot of food."

Arisu came up to him with his smile so warm and his eyes kind. Banda recognized that type. He sensed that boy must had gone through a lot but still kept his head up, for others, the way he tried to bring comfort for everyone around. Arisu's eyes settled on Chishiya's neck for a second, spotting various marks, but he pretended to not see anything and looked at the killer again.

"Banda, is it? Thank you." He reached to the older to shake hands. Banda did so, quite surprised anyone wanted to interact with him in the first place. Not like there was a need to. "Let's go then!"

The group started heading towards the building, Banda stopping next to Chishiya for a moment to nudge him gently.

"Come" he whispered, encouraging Chishiya to move. The younger man's eyes kept drilling through the ground, not moving even once. Can he even hear me?

"It's over" Chishiya murmured and Banda grabbed him by the elbow, leading to the apartment complex. There was no need to bring that topic up just yet.

"Let's go to our room, it's cold here. Talk to your friends, you haven't seen them in a while."

Chishiya finally let Banda take him inside; the warmth he felt again was nice but didn't bring much relief. Everyone went upstairs until Banda reminded them to stop on the fifth floor.