Three

However plain it sounded, rice with eggs was probably the best meal Chishiya has had since appearing in the Borderland. One of the very few warm meals as well. He assumed Banda had some kind of water supply that allowed him to cook stuff while having enough to drink. Where though?

For the next two days Chishiya stayed in the hospital room, sometimes visited by Banda bringing him water and some food. It was indeed boring and he knew his visa was about to expire very soon; there wasn't much time for a rest anymore. Good thing his injured arm started to heal up quickly; he wasn't so light headed either, thanks to water and food.

It seemed like an afternoon of the third day when Chishiya finally decided to get up and walk around more. He put on his white hoodie, while also grabbing some painkillers left in broken cabinets. He hadn't seen Banda that day yet.

"Well. Someone's been here before."

He murmured to himself, wandering around the hospital where most meds was gone and first aid kits were laying around, completely empty. Not a surprise in the world fueled by people constantly getting hurt.

Chishiya went outside, thinking about finding a better shelter. Maybe I could join a game tonight. Probably should. He still wasn't in the greatest condition but it didn't really matter. A laser cutting your forehead in half wouldn't feel any better, would it?

It was a warm day, a little windy. He definitely missed walking around; these few days of being chained to the bed felt like a waste. Who knew how much he'd missed already. He could've been the last player alive and he wouldn't even know.

"Leaving already?"

Chishiya stopped, hearing a familiar voice behind him. Banda caught up to him pretty quickly and looked a little surprised when his eyes met.

"Well, I wasn't particularly waiting for you, so." Chishiya shrugged. He knew Banda didn't expect a thank you from him but maybe he was angry for trying to leave him so soon? Whatever.

"What a shame. I thought we'd join a new game together sometime. You don't have much time left on your visa, do you?" Banda raised an eyebrow. He was very much right.

"Maybe. Big pleasure to see you again but I'm gonna go."

Chishiya turned around and started to slowly walk away. It wasn't not like he wasn't grateful for Banda's help, but trusting a manipulative serial killer was the last thing he should do. And frankly, his survival instinct wasn't dead yet. Even if he helped Chishiya survive it was probably to achieve something else; something he wasn't aware of yet.

"You sure? Take a look at your wound. I don't even think you can freely move your arm yet." Banda didn't move an inch but just his words made Chishiya stop for a second again. He unzipped his hoodie and indeed realized the bandages got very red. Shit. His arm was still numb.

"You'll need help, whichever game you pick. So how about we stick together for a bit longer, Chishiya?"

Banda sent him a fake smile and it was obvious he wasn't just friendly out of boredom.

"How about you tell me what do you need from me first?"

"Oh, nothing big really. I might just have an offer for you to consider later. Let's leave it for now though. You need to get better. We probably should focus on that wound of yours first, you know? Clean it up some."

Not a single word coming out of Banda's mouth sounded honest. Chishiya was curious, however, with every second spent around the killer. That was probably what made him change his mind and stay. Because hell, this got really intriguing.

"Follow me." Banda headed back to the hospital area, and Chishiya didn't think twice while doing the same. They went behind the building, walking for a while until they encountered something that looked like some kind of a pond, or a small water source. They sat down next to it and Banda helped him take the hoodie off; his tshirt had blood stains on it but there was no need to take it off just yet.

Not feeling very comfident with another man undressing me but alright.

Banda slowly got rid of the bandages on Chishiya's arm and splashed some water on the wound. Chishiya just observed his moves, knowing damn well he could've done it himself. Banda seemed to enjoy doing it though - in a way - so he just stayed quiet.

"Get in. It's not very deep." Banda said, pointing at the water. Chishiya sighed, not satisfied with someone kept telling him what to do. He could really use a bath, however, so given the opportunity he decided to take it. He got into water slowly, without taking his clothes off. They'd dry on him after a while anyway.

"How did you injure your arm?" Banda asked, gathering some water in his hands and releasing it on Chishiya's hair. It was a little surprising, to say the least.

"I got shot with an arrow when wandering around. Not everyone's so friendly here."

"Really? Sad."

Banda didn't even try to hide irony in his voice. That tone never changed though, and Chishiya couldn't tell if that was simply how he always spoke. He felt Banda's fingers going through his hair, smoothly, as if he actually meant to give him a five stars head massage. Funny.

"Any point in doing that?"

"In washing your hair? Well, you can't raise your arm so I don't think you'd do it yourself."

Chishiya couldn't even see his face, as Banda sat on the grass, reaching out to him in the water from behind.

"But what's the point in helping me still? You act as if you don't like killing people for sport."

"I want to keep you in a good shape. You know, for our last game." Banda said quietly, almost whispering the last words. There we go. Fuck knows what he meant but at least he started talking.

"What do you mean?" Chishiya asked, concerned but curious. Banda's hands never stopped stroking and going through his long, white hair. You could stop with doing that, buddy.

"Let's play a game, between you and me." Banda suddenly put his hands on Chishiya's shoulders, one dangerously close to his wound. "If we make it till the end, whoever kills the other one first wins."

A personal game between players. Chishiya suddenly remembered the speech about equality they made up with the con man in the prison. Yaba, or whatever that guy's name was.

So all Banda was looking for was just a player two for a stupid game?

Apparently Chishiya was the needed one, in his eyes. For some fucking reason. He wanted to help him, keep him alive so the end in Borderland was the best final, the most entertaining bit. Man. Banda really wanted to make sure he never gets bored in the future.

"Sounds fun enough?"

"The end of games could be days away. Or months. Or could never be actually reachable" Chishiya said, turning around to face Banda. The wind made his wet skin insanely cold.

"Doesn't matter. All I need from you is a promise. A promise that you won't let me stay bored when it's all over." Banda's eyes were glowing, kind of, as he spoke about his plan. "Please? You can't say no when I took care of you so well. I saved you."

He was fucked up. His mind was fucked up. Chishiya knew that Banda was nothing but a psychopath, unable to understand human emotions, looking for entertainment in risk and pain.

But why not? It's just a stupid promise. Maybe an open door to manipulating Banda, making him believe he's the one in control. A reversed Jack of Hearts. Now, that really does sound fun.

"I'll consider it. Now wrap my arm up, it's getting cold and I need new bandages."