Twenty

Being inside pretty much any building caused Chishiya - and probably everyone else in Borderland - to have slight breathing problems thanks to omnipresent dust. The best solution was to look for spaces with open windows, or just stay outside with a tent. Chishiya felt his lungs get filled with trashy air everyday, inhaling stuff that for sure shouldn't had been there.

He woke up coughing and rolled in bed a bit, thinking they could've cleaned the bed before falling asleep. Supposedly nobody had slept on it long before Banda ended up in Borderland. It was warm and nice, however. Probably less warm than usually.

Is Banda not next to me?

Chishiya sat up and realized Banda was gone, his side of the bed already cold. His first thought led him to a feeling that something bad had happened so he quickly jumped out of the bed.

"I'm here, you don't have to run around." He heard from the other room he didn't even bother checking yet.

Chishiya walked up there, noticing a small kitchen with a rice cooker, a table squeezed in the corner and Banda sitting next to it with eyes closed. He looked tired, or rather not fully awake just yet.

Chishiya glanced at his own reflection in the mirror above Banda's head. His long hair was resting on his shoulders softly, unsuccesfully hiding pink hickeys, still proudly there. He looked better than he remembered though, all the bruises and cuts finally gone for good.

His eyes landed on Banda again.

Wait, what's that bottle?

"Are you drinking?" he asked raising an eyebrow.

"I guess" Banda mumbled, opening his eyes and looking at the alcohol with disgust, yet his fingers were still confidently wrapped around the bottle. He took another sip, Chishiya sensing there had been more than a few that Banda had taken before.

"You realize it's still morning, right? And where did you get that from?"

"It was in my cabinet, over there."

Did Banda have drinking problems before? Chishiya wondered. Maybe it has something to do with the murders? Maybe he didn't do them sober. Needed confidence or something to get his mind fully numb?

"How much have you drank so far?"

"Don't know."

Banda's eye sight seemed foggy and unfocused, his face unusually tired. He didn't glance at Chishiya even once, just staring into nothing, his cheeks in an oddly cherry pink shade.

What the hell is wrong with him?

"Why are you doing it though?"

Chishiya spotted a small chair in the corner so he moved it closer to the table, sitting in front of Banda. It was a bit funny, kind of abstract.

This man does so many things that clash and don't make sense, acting differently each time, not fully in control of his feelings. Has to be some borderline personality disorder type stuff.

"So we can finally talk about the past. I need to."

Their eyes finally met.

"I want to hear about your life before Borderland, Chishiya. And if I won't drink I'm not going to say anything back."

Funny.

"Alright then. Let's talk." Chishiya shrugged, noticing chocolate, some of which was already gone. A breakfast like that couldn't have gone wrong with alcohol, right? He took a piece and let it melt on his tongue for some time. "You first."