Thirty One

If he only got back to sleep instead of playing games until he had to leave for another shift maybe he wouldn't have been so exhausted just then.

Chishiya yawned while lazily putting his doctor coat on, unprepared. He left some hair strands out of a loose ponytail resting on his neck and looked in the mirror, seeing dark circles and a generally not so friendly face. I look beautifully approachable.

"Need coffee, doctor?" Reiko asked when they spotted each other in an elevator. Chishiya just nodded in response. They went one floor below to a hospital cafeteria and grabbed two paper cups filled with hot american, not too flavorful but kicking right in. God, yes.

"The kid from 187 felt better today so he left the hospital before your shift started" Reiko mentioned and Chishiya nodded yet again. He wasn't a fan of particularly boring, easily avoided conversations.

"Anything about the prisoner in coma? His family?"

"Still haven't picked up the phone, not to mention showing up."

They entered the elevator again, that time going up. Chishiya hoped the coffee would help him get some energy, still feeling like he was about to pass out but the day seemed to have a rather slow start. He said his goodbyes to Reiko and tried to stop another yawn as he walked into the room Sunato Banda was in.

"Good morning" Chishiya murmured looking at the unconscious man and his calm, relaxed face. I hate what my mind did to me last night. It was a bit difficult for him to look at Banda without remembering what he thought about earlier. He was glad the man stayed asleep, otherwise they would have had to interact and Chishiya would've felt even worse.

I'm not a pervert, I swear I'm not.

Chishiya needed to draw blood from Banda's arm and check the tubes again. Everything seemed to be alright; going through his documents Chishiya had no clue what caused that coma of his, but there was no history of worse injuries, other than a sprained ankle. Which wouldn't be the reason why this man has been snoozing for the past month. He put the blanket back on Banda's body and walked up to the exit about to visit other patients.

Right then a woman opened the door and walked in, visibly in a rush. Chishiya blinked a few times.

"Ma'am, you're not allowed to enter patient's room without permission-"

"I know, I know." The woman waved her hand and started to dig inside her purse in a hurry. She finally found the ID, handing it to Chishiya in a bizarre manner. He saw her last name was different - and sounded rather familiar - while the previous one matched the man's. She threw it back into her wallet with visible rush.

"I'm the mother, just changed my last name. Did he wake up yet?" She took her mask and sunglasses off, and that's when Chishiya vaguely recognized her. He'd seen that face on TV multiple times. Also, judging by the clothes, she was definitely rich. No wonder she looked like a celebrity in disguise. Her hair was tied back, almost impossible to notice under a hat.

"No, unfortunately. We're still trying our best to make Mr. Banda regain consciousness. We'll be sure to give you a call once that happens" Chishiya replied calmly. To his surprise the woman waved her hand abruptly again.

"No, no." She took a step forward. "Please don't contact me anymore. I don't want to know anything about him. I just came to say I agree to any surgeries or things that would require my permission, so you don't call again. Thank you, doctor."

She walked out, her heels echoing through the hallway as she slammed the door. Unbothered enough to completely ignore an upcoming response; Chishiya stayed where he was, his eyebrows raised in surprise. Family issues, huh, Mr. Banda?