CHAPTER 05

AUTHOR P.O.V

"Do you even know what you're saying, Jungkook?" Mae's voice trembled as tears streamed down her face, her emotions raw and her heart shattered by the words her boyfriend had just uttered. 

Her face turned red with anger and hurt as she realized the gravity of his words. She pushed him, her hand landing on his chest, desperately seeking an answer that could somehow make sense of the pain she was feeling.

"We need to break up, Mae," Jungkook finally spoke, his eyes cast downward, unable to meet her gaze. He lacked the courage to face her hurt eyes and witness the devastation he had caused. 

His choice had been made, even though it would undoubtedly affect them both. Mae's voice quivered as she desperately sought reassurance, hoping against hope that he would say it was all a prank or something to ease her anguish. But he remained silent, offering no solace or comfort.

The weight of his words sank in, and Mae could feel her heart shattering into a million pieces. The reality of their relationship coming to an end hit her like a tidal wave, overwhelming her with pain and confusion.

Mae couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her mind refused to accept that her loving boyfriend would suddenly want to leave her. They had promised to stay together till the end, and there had been no signs of uncertainty or problems between them. She couldn't find a reason for his unexpected decision to break them apart.

"I'm sorry Mae, I wasn't holding our promises and we are not meant to be together–"

"Stop it," Mae interrupted, her voice firm as she looked at him with a neutral expression. She took a deep breath, calming herself down and suppressing any visible signs of hurt or anger. She was determined to understand the details behind his sudden confession and to get to the truth. 

After four years of being together, she believed she knew him inside out and could read him like an open book.

"Jungkook, we've been through so much together. Can you please explain what's really going on? I can't accept this without understanding the reasons behind it," Mae said, her tone steady but her eyes filled with a mix of confusion and concern. She hoped he would open up and share the truth, giving them a chance to work through whatever issues they were facing.

"Tell me the truth jungkook, I know you wouldn't leave me cause of some philosophical shit you came up with " Mae's words were filled with determination and a deep sense of love for Jungkook. She refused to believe that he would leave her for some abstract philosophical reason.

Closing the distance between them, she gently kissed his cheek, her eyes shimmering with affection.

"Please, baby, tell me the truth," Mae pleaded, her voice soft but filled with a mix of emotions. She wanted to understand what had led him to consider breaking them apart. 

There was a flicker of guilt and pain in Jungkook's eyes, hinting at the internal struggle he was facing. Mae could sense that he wanted to embrace her, to kiss away her doubts and fears, but something was holding him back.

She waited patiently, giving him the space to gather his thoughts and find the courage to open up. Deep down, she knew that there must be external factors influencing his decision.

Loyalty and the weight of his family's name and reputation were likely playing a role, even if it meant sacrificing his own happiness in the process. Mae hoped that he would trust her enough to share the truth, so they could face the challenges together.

"I'm Sorry Mae"

Mae's heart ached as she whispered Jungkook's name, realizing the immense struggle he was facing to tell her the reason. Despite her own pain, she chose to respect his inner battles and emotions.