46. Suncream, tea, and spicy cologne

Out in the Garden there's a distinct shift in the atmosphere as Maddi and Lucas walk out hand-in-hand. Lottie, Jas, and Hope stop their chat in the kitchen and stare wide-eyed at the couple. She notices Gary, Ibrahim, and Noah have also stopped their conversation by the fire pit to watch them.

Lucas pulls Maddi over to the bean bags and helps her down onto a neon pink one. He pulls a yellow one next to hers and plops down.

"Quite the vibe we've come out to," he grumbles.

She anxiously glances behind her at the girls in the kitchen, searching for her friend. "Why did you yell at Priya?"

His eyes go dark. "She was attacking me. Attacking us. And I wasn't going to just sit there and listen to it."

She bites her lip. "You shouldn't have shouted like that. She was only trying to look out for me."

He rolls his eyes. "I'm not going to get into this with you."

"Can you apologize to her, please?"

He lets out an incredulous laugh. "Are you joking? No. She should apologize to me."

She hesitantly puts her hand on his leg. With her best doe eyes, she begs him. "Please, Lucas? She's my best friend."

He sighs. "Maybe. Maybe we can have a civil conversation and get everything out in the open."

She offers him a small, hesitant smile. He reaches over and grasps her hand in his, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles. They sit there in silence for a minute until she sees Priya slide out of the snug with Bobby.

"I'm going to go make sure she's okay," she says as she gets up from the bean bag quickly. She power walks over before he can protest.

"Priya," Maddi's brows furrow at the sight of her tear-stained face. She wraps her arms around her and squeezes. "I'm so sorry for Lucas. He was out of line."

Priya's breath catches. "Maddi, we need to talk."

She pulls away and sees Priya's eyes wide with concern. She nods, and the two girls head up to the terrace to chat.

In the brisk evening air, Maddi wraps a blanket around herself and Priya as they cuddle in the corner of the bench. Priya's gaze is focused on the ground before her as she thinks about what to say. Maddi's heart pounds as she waits.

"I'm worried about you," Priya whispers finally.

Maddi can't hide the shocked look in her eyes. "Why?"

Priya sighs. "I don't trust Lucas. I'm sorry, I know that you fancy the pants off of him," she speaks quickly, without taking a break to breathe. "But he's changed since the first day he was in here. He's not the sweet Lucas you went on a date with. He's this domineering, controlling man who keeps you by his side all day with a lock and key. And I think he's afraid if he loosens his grip even a little, that you're going to realize how much better you can do."

Now it's Maddi's turn to gaze at the ground. She soaks in Priya's words... but... it doesn't make sense. Is she blind? Or does Priya just not understand their relationship? She feels herself becoming defensive of Lucas, again. He cares for her, really cares. He would never "control" her. He's been nothing but caring towards her since the morning they met.

"Priya," she finally begins. "I understand that you love me, and you want the best for me. And it's perfectly normal to be skeptical of the guy your best friend dates, but Lucas is perfect." Priya scoffs but she continues. "He's kind, gentle, affectionate. He's open about his feelings for me and confident in our relationship. I know he can be intense, and I've talked to him about it, but it's only because of how intense this place can be. Emotions run so high in here. Just give him a chance." She looks up into Priya's eyes and sees worry all throughout them. She takes her hands and holds them to her heart. "I'm falling for him, Priya."