23. It does things to my tummy

Maddi looks around and sees Noah talking with Ibrahim again at the firepit. She should go and talk to him, but she feels anxious about it. She decides to pull Priya over to the swings to chat.

Maddi looks back at Lucas who is sat on her abandoned bean bag, chatting with Marisol and Hope. A twinge of jealousy sparks inside her before she remembers that he didn't even choose Hope for a date.

"So," Priya starts as she sits onto the swing, "what's up babes?"

Maddi leaps onto it like she usually does, sending her and Priya flying and giggling.

"I just need help," Maddi says once they've calmed down.

"With what?"

"My feelings," she groans.

Priya pulls her in for a cuddle, "Talk to me, Berry."

She giggles into Priya, "I don't know, Peach. My date with Lucas was amazing. He's amazing. He makes me feel... agh!" She hides her face in her hands.

"Like you're floating?" Priya grins.

"Yeah," Maddi sighs, "something like that."

"But...?"

"But, Noah. He's Noah. I've fancied him since the moment I saw him. And he gets me. Like no one has ever gotten me. He's... he's amazing."

"So," Priya starts, "maybe just take it easy. You've just met Lucas today. There's no one pushing you to make a decision right now. You'll know when the time is right."

Maddi nods, "So what do I do if Noah asks me about my date?"

"You mean when Noah asks you about it?" Priya giggles, "You'll be honest. Tell him it was a great date. And if he asks if your head's been turned, just be honest and say you need to think through everything."

Maddi fiddles with her nails, "I'm just afraid I'm going to push him away. He's been so patient with me."

"If he lets himself get pushed away, then it wasn't worth it to him, and you can do better. He cares for you so much, I honestly think he just wants you to be happy. I'm sure he'll appreciate that you're really giving it some thought, too."

Maddi smiles at her friend, "You always know just want to say."

Priya tickles her, causing her to laugh out loud, drawing the attention of all the Islanders.

"Stop!" Maddi begs through tears, "Please!"

Priya finally stops, "You're just so cute when you're squirming!"

"That's so weird, Peach," Maddi laughs.

"Want to nap here with me?"

"Always."

The two girls fall asleep snuggling on the swing. The warm air drags Maddi into a deep sleep, and she starts to dream.

In her dream she's with Christopher, the day after the dinner in which he told her he didn't want to get married anymore.

He's sitting next to her on the couch, a foot of space between them. She has tear stained cheeks, and bloodshot eyes.

"You've changed," he says softly, "You're not the same Maddi I fell in love with..."

"How could I be?" She sniffs, "My mom died, Christopher. How can I ever be the same?"

He runs his hand through his curly blonde hair, "I'm not saying it's your fault. I'm just saying that..." he trails off.

"That you don't love me anymore," Maddi finishes it for him.

He looks at her with sad eyes, "It wasn't just an overnight thing, M&M."