17. Couple of green beans

Maddi awakes before the sun does. The only sound is Noah's snoring. She peaks around the room and memories of the night before flood her mind.

Bobby chose Priya, Hannah left, Hope claimed Noah, and everyone yelled at each other. Maddi's mind races with thoughts of "what if's" and "what now's" and she feels her heart beginning to race with the anxiety. She slowly lowers her covers and slips out of bed. She tiptoes through the bedroom to the lounge and into the Hideaway.

She sighs a breath of relief the moment she sees the keyboard. She walks on light feet to the bench and lowers herself onto it. She turns it on and adjusts the volume so as not to wake the other Islanders, even though the room is technically sound proof.

As she wonders what to play, she lets herself remember the night before. She wants to feel the pain again, and play through it. It's how she deals.

Although she isn't angry with Bobby, she definitely feels a bit betrayed. But she's embarrassed to admit it.

She wonders if the hurt she feels is more intense than it should be, due to how things ended with Christopher. He reassured her every day until the day he told her he didn't love her anymore. That hurt like a bitch. Of course there were signs along the way, but she chose to ignore them... figuring he was just stressed with the upcoming graduation and wedding.

As she dwells on her pain, she begins to play a melody that starts off slowly and dreamily. Then she sings.

"Long were the nights when my

Days once revolved around you

Counting my footsteps

Praying the floor won't fall through,

again

My mother accused me of losing my mind, but I swore

I was fine"

Tears begin to slip through her shut eyes as she lets herself feel everything again.

"You paint me a blue sky

Then go back and turn it to rain

And I lived in your chess game

But you changed the rules everyday

Wondering which version of you I might get on the phone

Tonight

Well I stopped picking up, and this song is to let you know why"

Her fingers are dancing on the keys, and her voice is becoming sore as she fights to keep it steady. It's hauntingly beautiful and anyone who hears her can feel her pain through her voice.

"Dear John

I see it all now that you're gone

Don't you think I was too young to be messed with?

The girl in the dress cried the whole way home

I should've known

Well maybe it's me

And my blind optimism to blame

Or maybe it's you and your sick need

To give love then take it away"

She breaks at that last line and begins to cry over the keyboard. With a cracking voice and wet face, she continues.

"And you'll add my name to the long list of traitors