7. In awe of you

Noah turns his face up to the sky before taking a deep breath. He exhales with his face still upturned and eyes closed.

The intensity of the moment causes Maddi to giggle.

Noah peeks his eyes open at her. "What are you laughing at?"

She can't help the laugh that falls out of her mouth. "I'm sorry," she says, "I can't help it. I always laugh at the worst times."

Noah smiles in return, "Fair enough. Let me start talking before we both fall into a giggle fit we can't get out of."

Maddi does her best to calm down and waits for him to continue.

"So, my story." He begins. "It's really not all that big." He shrugs. "Basically when I was growing up, my dad wasn't a good guy. He was a drunk. He couldn't hold a job, so he was always at home drinking."

Maddi watches as Noah's face turns sorrowful. Her heart is already breaking for him... why does she have to be so damn empathetic. She wants to reach out and hold his hand, but she's hyperaware of the group in the kitchen watching their every move. She doesn't want to give them a reason to march over here and interrupt.

"My mom ended up having to work a second job so that we could get by, but then she got pregnant." He continues, his voice is so deep and soothing even while telling a difficult story.

He turns so he's laying on his side facing her while he finishes his story. "We made it through it. There were definitely really troublesome days. But I did my best at helping raise Isaac, my brother. I was 13 when he was born. So I've always felt more like a parent to him than a brother," he laughs softly as he says that last bit.

Maddi turns on her side to face him, mirroring his body. They're pretty close. Less than a foot apart. She sees his eyes falling down her body and smirks. He blushes when he sees she's caught him in the act. She's well aware of how much boob she's showing.

"So," he continues, "my dad stayed for a bit, but left when he found out my mom was pregnant again."

Noah tells Maddi about how hard it was watching his dad leave, even though he knew he wasn't a good man. He tells her about all the struggles he and his mom faced trying to raise Isaac and Mary, his little sister. Maddi finds herself in awe of the man before her. He is so strong and full of love. She can tell how much he loves his family just by the way he talks about them.

When he finishes his story, Maddi can't help herself. She reaches across the small space between them and takes his hand in hers. He looks up at her surprised at first and then he gives her that smile that lights her up.

"So, that's my story," he says softly.

Maddi gives his hand a squeeze, "Thank you for sharing it with me."

He squeezes her back. A moment passes by where neither of them say anything. They just lay on their respective bean bags, holding hands. It's intimate.

"I guess you want to hear mine, then?" Maddi asks.

"Only if you want me to," he says softly.

She looks up at the sky like he had done before opening up about his family. After a deep breath she starts, "So, in the beginning of 2017 my life was perfect." Tears blur her vision. "But then my mum was diagnosed with cancer." Her voice catches in her throat and she pauses to compose herself. 

Noah begins to stroke his thumb over her hand. An act so small that brings a wave of comfort over her. She takes a deep breath and continues. "Obviously it was devastating. She was my best friend. I talked to her about everything my entire life. She knew more about me than anyone else." Tears begin to swell and fall down her cheeks. "The doctors kept telling us to be prepared, but how do you even prepare yourself for that kind of loss? I upped my studies and managed to get on course to graduate early, I was hopeful that she would be around to see that. I also convinced my long-term boyfriend at the time to propose so that my mum could see me get married." Maddi shakes her head. "Little bit of advice to anyone listening: if you have to convince a man to commit himself to you, he's not the one.