39. Mean Tweets

The Islanders all make their way to the Challenge Stage. The horizon seems to fizzle in the heat. Maddi arrives solemnly, unable to look anyone in the eye. Not even Noah... she doesn't want to give Lucas any more reasons to question her.

A semi-circle of tables surrounds a scoreboard and a pile of face-down cards. Each table has two seats and its own small chalkboard. Maddi takes it all in while the rest of the Islanders mingle and talk.

Bobby comes up beside her and lays his head on her shoulder. "Phew! All that running in slow motion really wipes me out." He gives her a goofy grin.

She's taken by surprise at his friendliness. She must look it too, because he gives her shoulders a squeeze. "You're not icing me out?" She asks quietly.

He shakes his head, "Never. You and Priya will be fine."

She glances hesitantly at Priya, who's chatting with Jas. Of course. Jas is probably a much better friend than Maddi.

"Yeah..." she says unconvincingly.

Bobby gives her a side hug before running off to join Priya. She feels lonely. Despite Bobby's kindness, she feels like she's pushing everyone away.

Lucas comes up and wraps his arms around Maddi from behind. "You okay, love?" His breath tickles her ear.

She gives him a small smile, "I'll be okay." She lies. She's dreading this challenge.

"I wish we could be partners for this," he says sadly.

"Me too."

"Guys, I've got a text!" Lottie shouts, getting everyone's attention.

Hope runs up to her, "Let me see! Let me see!"

Lottie reads out loud, "'Islanders, it's time for some Mean Tweets. Jas will be today's host. She will read tweets from the public about goings-on around the Villa, but the names will be blanked out. The couple with the most correct answers will win the challenge. #Roasted #WigSnatched.'"

Priya cheers, "Jas! You're going to be an amazing host!"

Maddi can't look at Jas and Priya jumping around together, all excited. That's her and Priya's thing... she feels sick to her stomach.

"This is, like, our first real glimpse of what the public thinks of us," Hope squeals.

"Anyone got any dirty laundry they'd like to air before we get started?" Bobby teases.

Maddi glances up and sees a few people exchanging nervous glances. At least everyone already knows her business... she's not exactly good at keeping her emotions to herself... she only has Christopher's tweet to be worried about. Although, that's not very comforting.

"Ever seen those celebrity mean tweets?" Lucas laughs. "Absolutely savage."

Lottie smirks at Henrik and Lucas, "Looks like you guys are an honorary couple for the challenge."

Lucas and Henrik glance at each other, grinning. "I could do a lot worse," Lucas smiles.

Henrik beams at him, "Mate! You're prettier than most girls!"

Lucas laughs then turns to Maddi. He brings her in for a hug and kisses the top of her head. "Don't forget to have some fun, okay?"

She forces a smile, and waves him off to his table. She sighs as she turns and sees Ibrahim waiting at their table. Jas takes her place in front of the scoreboard while the rest of the Islanders sit at the tables in their couples. Maddi sits next to Ibrahim and offers him a pitiful smile.

He smiles back at her, "You nervous?" He whispers.

She grimaces, "Well, I don't really think there's anything you guys don't know about me... but yeah. What about you?"