11. Once upon a time

The Islanders sit around the firepit while they wait for Priya's grand entrance. Maddi sits between Lottie and Bobby on the end across from Noah and Hope. Her anxiety rises with every second they wait.

Bobby leans in and whispers, "Are you all right, lass?"

Maddi looks up at him with her green eyes wide. She feels heavy with anxiety. They more she tries to hold it together, the more she begins to shake. Bobby sighs and puts his arm around her when she doesn't respond.

It's a sweet sentiment, but ultimately it makes her feel even worse. Knowing that she won't be able to snuggle with him like this after Priya chooses him is enough to make her cry right here and now. But she manages to hold it together... just barely. After all, it's only day two. Even though it feels like day sixty.

She does her best not to look at anyone else, but fails. She slowly glances up to Noah and finds him looking mindlessly into the flames. She wonders what's going on in his mind as they wait.

The clicking of heels comes from the walkway, and Priya emerges wearing an incredible cream-coloured gown with rhinestones lining the plunging neckline. Seeing her friend reminds her why she shouldn't be feeling sorry for herself. This is Priya. Bobby's Priya. They deserve a chance at happiness.

"Hey everyone!" Priya cheers as she walks down to the firepit.

Maddi whistles and everyone laughs. "God, I hope you choose me!"

Priya throws her head back with laughter, "Babes, if only I were into girls!"

She comes and stands in front of the others, looking nervous. "Okay," She starts. "This is a lot harder than I thought it would be." She anxiously flips her hair as she looks out to the rest of the Islanders. "When I first came in," Priya continues, "I thought I knew who I was going to choose." She looks over at Maddi before quickly glancing away. "But the thought of hurting one of my best friends in here... it's too much."

Wait what?

She continues: "As much as I fancy him, I can't hurt Maddi like that. So the boy I want to couple up with is..."

Time seems to freeze in place as Maddi waits for her to finish.

"...Noah."

There's a moment of silence as it sinks in. Then Noah gets up from his spot next to a raging Hope and makes his way over to Priya. He opens his arms for her and she falls into them thankfully.

Wait. What?

Maddi is sat there frozen in place, focusing on the ground below her. Bobby's arm has fallen from its place behind her. She feels hollow.

"Well!" Lottie exclaims. "That was a surprise!"

"Yeah, Priya. What the hell?" Hope shouts.

Priya anxiously looks to the ground as she stands there with Noah's arm around her.

Noah sighs and says "Hope, lay off."

"But," Gary says, "I thought you were going to choose Bobby?" He looks around at the others as if seeking agreement.

"Yeah, what changed?" Ibrahim asks.

"I," Priya stutters. "I—I didn't want to hurt Maddi."

Maddi can't move. She hears the conversation but can't participate. She can only look at the ground or else she fears she will cry. She sure as hell isn't going to look at Noah. When was he grafting on Priya? When he wasn't busy kissing Maddi in the bathroom or Beach Hut? Maddi's anxiety is starting to wither away into anger.

Priya chose Noah. As the realization sinks in, her feelings become more clear. She wasn't anxious about Priya "stealing" Bobby away. She was anxious about being free from her couple to explore her feelings for Noah.