28. fresh start?

Maddi and Lucas chill on the daybed together waiting for the others to return from the challenge stage. Maddi is lying on her back facing the pool and Lucas is on his stomach facing her. It's quiet in the Villa for the first time since Maddi arrived with Hope on the first day. Wow has so much changed since then.

"What are you thinking about?" Lucas asks as he studies Maddi's face.

Without redirecting her gaze from the pool, she says "How mad it is that so much has happened since I first walked in here."

"Hm," he says, "Do you have any regrets?"

Maddi takes a moment to think. Regrets? Maybe... Honestly, yeah. She wishes she had stepped forward for Noah instead of Bobby. She wishes she had made up her mind a little more. She regrets a lot, but at the same time... would she be sat here with Lucas if she had done anything different? If she was with Noah from the beginning, would she still have these feelings for Lucas? Would it make getting to know him harder?

"I don't know," she sighs, "A part of me wishes I had done some things differently, but at the same time, everything happens for a reason. Like, would I be sitting here with you right now if I had done anything differently?"

Lucas smiles, "I'd like to think we're destined for each other..." he giggles, "Like, no matter what we do or say, we'll end up together."

Maddi smiles, "That's sweet." She thinks back about what Noah was saying about Lucas before her date, and starts to feel her anxiety bubbling up.

"Lucas," she turns on her side to face him properly, "Can I ask you something, and you be 100% honest with me?"

Lucas raises his eyebrows, "Of course, love."

"Did you choose me because I was the easiest option? Like your safest choice to stay in the Villa?" She searches his eyes.

His eyes are wide with disbelief, "Are you joking?"

She hesitantly shakes her head.

"Oh my god," Lucas sighs, "Maddi why would you think that?" Before she can answer he quickly adds, "No, by the way. That's bullshit. I knew as soon as I saw you that I needed to get to know you."

Maddi sighs, "Okay. I trust you."

"Good," Lucas pulls her in for a cuddle, "Now, why would you ask me that? Did you think that was the reason?"

"No," she sighs into his chest, "Someone mentioned that it's probably the reason you've seemed to put all your eggs in my basket. And I didn't let it bother me at first, but..."

"But?"

"But I'm just afraid of getting hurt again. I feel like my time in this Villa has been 20% laughing with Priya, and 80% crying over some boy. It's stupid."

"It's not stupid. You put your trust in someone who wasn't good enough for you. I can't even tell you how heartbreaking it was to watch everything unfold on the telly. I couldn't wait to get in here and just..." he squeezes her, "Hold you."

Maddi smiles and starts to reach up to kiss him when the garden door opens and all the other Islanders rush in.

"Maddi!" Priya rushes over to the daybed and plops down on Maddi's other side. "Are you okay?"

Maddi smiles, "Yeah. Lucas cheered me up."

Priya looks up at Lucas and gives him an approving smile, "Good. I don't want my girl sad anymore." She kisses Maddi on the cheek.

"Love you, Peach."

"Love you, Berry!" She boops Maddi on the nose.

Giggling, Maddi says, "So what happened after we left?"