Bryn Hafer - Special Task

User: CraZCanuck

"Bryn Hafer and Lily Le, would you please report to the principal's office." I hear the intercom, and suddenly eyes from around the room turn towards me. The hatred in their eyes tells me right away what they think; what they want to believe I'm being called down for. I sigh. 'It's been six days since I witnessed the murder.... And I've done a LOT of reading....' I slowly pack up my bags.

"Killer..." Someone whispers. I look around, trying desperately to figure out who would say such a thing. But the class goes silent. Ominously so. I find myself walking down the halls of the academy, wondering if I should run. Get away from this place before I'm killed. 'But where would I go? What would I do?' I wonder. My brain puts it all together in seconds. 'No money, no method of transport, and no shelter. Don't be a fool.'

'Just tell the truth,' I decide. 'Tell them the truth, what I did, and then I'll be alright.'

* * *

The door to the hallway of the principal's office creaks open as I stalk down the hallway, scared, so scared, that something bad is waiting for me in the office. The Vice-Principal is leaning against the lockers across the hall from the office's door, and her face registers little emotion as she sees me.

"Bryn Hafer?" She asks softly. I affirm her question with a subtle nod of the head.

"Good." A girl, hazel eyes wide with fear, is also standing there, waiting in terrified silence for whatever awaits us in the office. 'I know what I did.... What did she do?'

"Alright, you two. Inside." She leads us into the principal's office. The minute I step into the room, there's an aura of authority. Perhaps it's the two officers standing there, a hand placed defensively on the holsters to their guns, as well as the other on their cuffs. Or perhaps it's the piercing glare of the superintendent, Ms. Blackwell. Her long, dark hair as straight as she's standing, and arms crossed unhappily. Regardless of what it is, the booming voice of one of the officers echoes through the small, cramped room like a trumpet directly into my ear.

"We have some questions for you both. You'll have to come down to the station with us, there we'll call your parents." I suck in a deep breath. 'I'm on thin ice with my parents as it is, for 'allegedly' cheating last year's science tests. This CANNOT happen.' Suddenly feeling cold, I stuff my hands deep into my pockets and clench my hands into fists. 'They have no grounds to arrest me...'

"No, I'm not going anywhere," I retort. Just as I'm about to continue, the officers contradict me by closing the gap between us and snapping the cuffs around our wrists. I frown at the officer as he leads me, hands at my back, towards the police car.

"Officer, uncuff me please," I tell him. "Unless I'm being charged, I read in a book that-" He doesn't allow me to finish my sentence before opening the door and half-guiding, half-shoving me into the vehicle. The door slamming sounds like sound a textbook makes when it's shut suddenly. Reminding me once more of my old teachers. 'They never believed... never understood me... They just assumed...'

Before long, the officer joins me in the car. "Let me guess..." he says. "You killed her because she wouldn't—"

"I didn't kill anyone!" I plead.

"If I had a dollar for every time someone has said that, sitting where you are..." I huff in frustration, and remain silent for the rest of the ride in the stuffy police car.

* * *

I resist the urge to bolt as he helps me get out of the car. One of his hands is resting on his taser. I'm not interested in getting hit by that.