Police Escort - Task Two

"How many dead?" The voice questions, their sharp tone blaring through my phone.

"Three, only two were murders though."

"Supposedly." I sigh, rubbing my palm over my forehead wearily.

"Yeah, supposedly, the police have reopened the Trevino case to see if they can find a connection to Beth Rose and Matthew Jackson."

"When did the third take place?" I clench my jaw, remembering the vivid scene clearly in my head and cringing.

"Last night." I respond, hesitance making my voice sound shaky.

"That's three deaths in the span of one week, Carter Hollow is one incident away from shutting down."

"No!" I snap, a spike of alarm erupting through my tone. The voice on the other end falls silent for several seconds. Then my uncle gives a heavy sigh, the noise making the phone crackle for a moment.

"Arabella, I can't allow teenagers to keep getting murdered! That's why I've set up a deal with the local police force. They've got some graduated officers fresh from the academy that they want to place on campus at all times."

"What-?"

"Arabella, shut up." He growls, his tone dropping drastically, I clamp my jaw shut and bite the inside of my lip until I taste blood. Anger threatened to explode through every ounce of my being. I didn't trust cops, they'd failed me once before and they'd only get in the way now.

"Look Ari, the community is getting restless. The murders need to stop and these cops may be able to scare the murderer out into the open. So from this point forward, no student or staff member goes ANYWHERE without a police escort."

"I don't care if they're walking from the dorms to the bathrooms or from classes to the café. I want cops all around them. Curfew is at eight o'clock, no later, and dammit Ari! Do your job and observe them! Find that killer!" I jerk, holding the phone away from my ear as my uncle's deep voice sends shockwaves through my eardrum. I bite my lip and sigh heavily as the call abruptly ends, leaving me in the cold embrace of empty silence.

I run my hand through my hair wearily, my entire body sagging under the pressure put on me by so many different people. I wasn't cut out for this; not after them.

"Arabella!" A bellowing voice calls, I turn and glance down the long hallway to see Adam gesturing me into his office. A pair of police officers stride in first and a shiver of dread travels down my spine.

"Coming." I grumble, rubbing my face with my fingers and childishly popping my cheeks. This was going to be a long day, I could feel it.

"What?" I wonder as I step into the now occupied office as Adam closes the door. Adam shrugs one shoulder and jerks his gaze toward the two men dressed in uniform. Their eyes travel between Adam and I before settling on me.

"Arabella Blackwell, I presume?" One asks, his voice low and quiet.

"Yes, that's me."

"The academy will be sending over a bus load of officers very shortly, I'd like to know where they'll be staying." I raise an eyebrow, confusing etching itself into my face.

"Staying?"

"We were told they'd be staying on campus." I glance over my shoulder at Adam's shocked expression.

"What officers?" He snaps, stepping forward slightly. I slump my shoulders forward, too tired to stand up straight any longer.

"The ones my uncle has decided to place on campus." Adam's frown deepens and he crosses his arms over his chest in frustration. He looks as if he wants to say something else but I hold up one finger and turn toward the officers.