Chapter 34

They came in late last night closer to dawn, his siblings. Tired, full of twigs and tracking mud all over the floor. They got rid of the clothes and fell into bed. The sheets were all filthy, thanks to them. Viserys was waiting for one of them to get up, he wanted to speak about what the fuck they did last night.

Daemon was the first to wake up. He came stumbling to the table, eyes still closed drinking from the pitcher of water, completely parched. He began wondering if his brother had actually gotten drunk last night. Daemon wasn't drinking water with the exception of training and when he was hungover.

"What did you do last night?" Viserys asked when his brother began looking more human.

"Maenera killed somebody." He responded. Viserys wasn't so surprised.

"It's becoming a habit. Every time you two leave the confines of the Red Keep somebody dies."

"This was not the same." Daemon said. He looked pensive. It was a strange expression on his brother's face. He didn't like it.

"How so?"

"The man she killed, was actually a sacrifice. She exchanged his life for something. She didn't want to tell me for what."

"You are worried."

"You are not?" Said his brother." She was the one who said that all magic has consequences. What are the consequences in this case. For what did she exchanged that life? For whom?"

"For you mayhaps." He responded.

"I am not currently dying."

"Are you sure about that? You will soon leave to fight a war. Maybe something happens there."

"She didn't say anything, and even so, if my life was in danger she wouldn't have let me leave Kingslanding." Viserys grimaced. He remembered when he talked with his sister about her worries. When she was concerned about seeing the danger too late. Maybe his sister took the matters into her own hands. She doesn't stop Daemon from leaving but she is making damn sure that he survives.

"What did you do?" Asked Daemon noticing his grimace.

"Nothing." He quickly replied.

"Viserys..."

"Well... She was worried about you going to war. That she will see the danger too late, like with father. I may have advised her that she can't keep you locked up, that she needs to have a little faith."

"So in an extremely Maenera fashion, she will not stop me from leaving, but just in case something happens she will have a backup."

"Maybe, this is all speculation."

"But you believe it to be true." Viserys didn't respond but he was sure that his answer was written on his face.

"I still don't understand how anybody can be intimidated by the two of you. Every time I am looking for you I find you together gossiping like little old ladies." His sister appeared right behind them making them jump.

"Where did you came from?" Asked Daemon.

"That doesn't matter Daemon, I think we have been insulted." Viserys said and he could see Maenera rolling her eyes at them.

"You know, if you want to know something you can just ask." She said.

"Really?" Asked Viserys in disbelief.

"Of course."

"Alright. Why did you sacrificed Ser Criston Cole?" Daemon asked.

"I was going to kill him anyway, this way his life is at least usefull." That is a non answer if he ever heard one.