Chapter 22

Viserys had a hard time believing he actually did that. True, he decided to dismiss Otto the night before, but the decision to name Daemon had come unexpectedly even for him. He just got so angry at all of them. All of them pretending to be there for the good of the realm, when they had hidden agendas over hidden agendas. They question his orders, they undermine his decisions, they had the audacity to ask for proof as if his word wasn't law. He could have taken Maenera from the steps of a brothel, it didn't matter, if he said Maenera was his sister then she was. He left them too much leeway. To contest his daughter's place in the chambers, like any of them had more right to be there than her, a princess of the blood. How dare they?

He had hope now. With Daemon as Hand and Maenera as...As what exactly? He needed to find a role for her, maybe mistress of whispers? Anyway he had hope now that he will receive sound council. He knows that now with daemon in a position of power they will think twice before opening their fucking mouths. The decision to name Daemon as Hand had been spontaneous, that's why since then both his siblings were hounding him with questions. As it is, it may have been spontaneous but he believed they he was right in his choice. Daemon helped Viserys get a crown, he was confident that Daemon will help him keep it.

"We should head out to the training grounds." His sister voice brought him out of his thoughts.

"Why would we do that?"

"She asked me yesterday to select a handful of Gold Cloaks for her to choose from." Responded Daemon.

"Choose what?"

"I want a sworn shield."

"Why in the world would you need a sworn shield? You can choose one of the kingsguards"

"Is not that simple Viserys. The kingsguards are here for the King, the rest of us are a bonus. If all our lives were in danger the kingsguards would save you first and foremost. I need someone who would save me first." His sister explained, and she was right. If there were ever some kind of danger he will be the one protected, maybe Rhaenyra as well as she is his daughter and only a child but his brother and sister? Not so much. He didn't really had to worry about Daemon, he was a master swordsman, but his sister was unprotected.

"Do you have anyone in mind?"

"No. I trust Daemon's judgement in this. If he says they are trustworthy they are, but I would like to see them personally to see which one is the best for me."

"The best for you? All of them would be good. They are trustworthy and could keep their mouth shut." Said his brother.

"I am not doubting that, but we can kill multiple birds with one strike. I asume some of them are low born?"

"Yes, three."

"That would not be a problem, but if we have the chance to make an alliance at the same time we would be stupid to miss it."

"True." Viserys responded.

"Plus I need someone that would not get queasy at me having visions. I cannot hide that from a sworn shield, not when he is with me most of the day."

"Very well. Let's see the men our brother had chosen."

***

The training grounds were fully occupied, now that the Gold Cloaks have come as well. Maenera was watching with interest the men her brother had pointed out. They were good fighters, that was obvious. She hadn't expected anything else when she asked her brother to find someone. She was trying to find the one for her but till now she wasn't amazed. Three of them had potential, one of them being a lowborn. The other two were the second and third sons from the Houses Marbrand and Connington respectively. They were all good fighters and from what she had observed their characters were good enough, their houses could potentially gain them an alliance. The only problem with all three of them? They didn't have a lick of magic in their blood. Those without magical blood had a hard time believing and understanding those that did.