A little break goes a YUUGE way

The week after my horrible solo and the fight, I was given a week off from dance by my mother and Abby. I wasn’t gonna be in the group dance or going to the competition, so I got to spend the week at home.

I did a lot of stuff I didn’t normally get to do, like sleep in, go to bed earlier than midnight, and play video games.

We still had to film though, kind of. For my Mom and her vlogs that she posted on YouTube.

Not my favorite thing, but I couldn’t really argue.

And, my mom used my break to take me to me yet another audition.

My hair was in two braids, and I was seated in a plastic chair, reading over the highlighted lines on the paper. There were other little girls around, my age or older or younger.

The top of the paper, in large letters, was the name “Charlie” which is both the name of the movie and the name of the character I was auditioning for.

Finally, it was my turn, to go in and read my pages for the casting director and the producer of this movie.

“It’s just a game,” I say. “Nobody gets hurt playing a game…”

I read a few more lines, of a few different scenes. It was a short film, so there weren’t very many but I felt like I did well. Well, enough, at least.

The week after, I went back to dance, Abby and Mom decided to put everything behind us, because we had to focus on preparing for nationals.

I was expected on the very bottom of the pyramid.

Maddie
Chloe  Nia   Mackenzie,
Brooke, Paige, Alyce

We all had solos this week, except for Kenzie and Nia who had a duet.

I was surprised I had one, but I decided not to question it. I didn’t want it taken away.

My solo was called “Cheerleader”, and the song was… well it was called Cheerleader. It was acro, which made me happy because I hoped it meant I had a second chance. My Mom really wanted me to dance at Nationals, and I didn’t wanna let her down.

That week I had a private with Abby on Tuesday, so I had more time with my solo.

“Okay leap! Turn, turn, floor, face! Face, keep your face to the audience. Okay, now handspring turn into the aerial! Good good… push it on the toe touch.”

A lot of the tricks in my solo were tricks done in cheer a lot. At the same time, a lot of the moves went along with the music.

My mama loves you too,
she thinks I made the right decision

I did pique turns into a front aerial

Now all that’s left to do is for me to pop the question

I did chain turns to my knees before the music shifted back to the upbeat chorus, where I did a star leap and some other moves.

After an hour, I had the dance down to the basics of every move (I had a notebook paper where I wrote down all the moves that went to each lyric).

In the group dance, they did last week, all of the girls got roles, each one being a deadly sin. Maddie told me Abby said I would’ve been lust, so I would probably get that role if we did it at another off-show competition.

The best part about this week was that our competition was in Los Angeles. We were staying in a hotel with a swimming pool.

I showed Mom and Kelly how I could do a backflip into the pool, and Melissa brought this giant pool float that we could all sit on.

I was really nervous about performing again, because of last time. I was backstage with Paige, who was giving me a pep talk.

“Just dance normally okay? Everyone has flukes, you’ll do alright”

I nodded, looking over the shoulder of my costume, holding my Pom poms in my hands

“You’ll do great. You look like the prettiest cheerleader I’ve ever seen”

“Thanks Paige, I love you”

“I love you too,” she said as we hugged each other.

“Alyce! Over here! Your on next!”

I waved to Paige as I hurried to my spot.

“Next up in our mini jazz division, we have Alyce with Cheerleader!”

I did my dance in constant worry of my next move. Luckily I hit every part flawlessly.

Backstage when Abby critiqued me, she told me that one thing with this dance was that I needed to have shown a bit more confidence, but besides that, she thought I did well, and she hugged me.

Then we did the group dance, and at the end, Nia did the death drop.

For awards, Maddie got second, shocking everyone.

I got second in mini jazz, but the girl who won did really good, and her solo was really good. ( her name was Mya Lanigan, and her dance was called boss).

Nia and Kenzie’s duet got first, and the duet Maddie and Chloe did (black swan) got first in their own division.

Paige got 6th with tongue twister, Brooke got 3rd with pull of the moon, and Chloe got 1st!

Overall we did good I thought.

Good enough for nationals?