Dying to Dance

Maddie
Chloe Paige Alyce
Brooke Nia Vivi Kenzie

Aah, the pyramid. Our weekly ritual that was starting to get old.

"Alright girls, you know what time it is. It's regionals so we're going to Starpower. You all know how important this is. Okay so, Brookes doing a solo, And so are Maddie, Chloe, and Alyce. Speaking of which, Paige and Alyce, I was very impressed by the duet. I expect your next to be just as wonderful, and I will consider entering you two in nationals. On top of that Paige, I believe you're working your way into a duet with Chloe, I can see how hard you're working."

Me and Paige smiled at each other. Chloe and Paige have been wanting to do a duet together for a while.

"Our group routine is called "Where Have All The Children Gone?" It's about children who have gone missing. It is a very dark mature piece and I expect you all to portray it accordingly."

In the dance, we all "died" in some way. I had to pretend to cup my hand, then stumble and fall back onto the floor, and scoot myself into the wings.

The whole dance... scared me. I had a couple of nightmares that week, but it was fine.

But I had a bigger issue, a more personal one.

I had a solo, my third one this season. (I thought that was pretty great considering how I was still younger). I didn't really have a problem with getting a solo, it was what the solo was about.

Alice in Wonderland.

All my life, when people read my name they say "Alice". And then I have to explain and say "No, it's uh-lease."

Every time. There's even a note made on my resume, and when I'm entered into competitions how to say my name.

So over my whole life, I've grown to despise that name.

And also anyone whose spelling "Alice" with a Y.

On Wednesday, Abby called me over to try on a costume, to go show the moms up in dance jail.

Oh no.

That meant it was bad.

Well to my mom, and the other moms probably. I thought it was cute.

"Okay," I heard Abby announce her presence to the other moms, "Debbie, we have your daughter's dance costume, so

"Okay," I heard Abby announce her presence to the other moms, "Debbie, we have your daughter's dance costume, so..."

She motioned me up the steps, and my mom gasped, and covered her mouth, "Abby! She looks like Alice in Wonderland went to work as a Times Square flash dancer"

Christi snorted and Kelly grabbed my mother's shoulder, saying "More like Alice in Portland"

Christi composed herself, "Where do you get these costumes?"

I don't think she was really talking to Abby, because I think this was another thing that had to do with the cameras and the show.

It was competition day, and I was getting ready for my solo. My mom did my hair up in two little buns on my head and helped me into my costume (even if she thought it was a bit "flashy," something told me she didn't really...well, care.)